Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2003 5:17:26 PM EDT
What do you use for cleaning your chrome-lined barrel, CLP or a solvent?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Normal cleaning....CLP all the way.
When the barrel becomes foul with copper, solvent!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends really.
For a clp I will use nothing but FP-10,for normal cleaning,lubing and protection.
Bore solvents I use mostly Hoppe's No.9,followed up with Mil-comm MC-25 for cleaning real nasty bores.
For Copper I use Sweets 7.62,Bore Tech Benchrest Blend or Copper Remover.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you guys think about using Bush's Bore Shine or Shooters Choice for normal bore (Chrome-lined) cleaning? Too expensive?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Mostly just CLP, but when I really want to get every speck of residue, I use M-Pro 7 bore gel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I gave up on CLP for normal Maint. long ago.
Just about 4 days after I was released by Mother Green!

It does a poor job of cleaning compared to the dedicated cleaners available.

CLP is great in the field as it does it all reasonably well,just not as quickly or efficiently as possible.

Shooters choice does a great job,as does butch's bore shine,but both are expensive,noxious,and well... not exactly perfect because of their dual nature as both a carbon and copper solvent.

For cleaning the action and exterior MPro-7 does a great job and is non-toxic.
I also use simple green despite the worrys about Aluminum weakening.
My rifles and handguns are NOT F-16's,and the parts on them made of aluminum are not stress bearing components or they wouldn't be made of Aluminum.

For bores I use whatever is at hand to suspend carbon loosened by a new brush.Kroil and Mpro-7 are my current favorites,but have had great luck with the el-cheapo Rem oil I use as a bench oil.
The mechanical action of the brush is the key.
Sure the aerosol solvents like Shooters choice are aggressive but not as aggressive as a new brush.
Kroil penetrates and soften crud better than the solvents anyhow,and afterall,it's a chrome bore so crap dosn't stick that bad anyhow.

From there if more than 600 rounds or more have gone down range,I'll remove copper with Sweets used sparingly,and for only 10 Min. sit time.
The Sweets is then Neutralized with 91% Isopropyl on a couple of patches.

Final lube is with TW25B.

I get all contorted on my Non-chomed rifle bores,and follow a routine I picked up shooting BR several years back.

At work,it's just MPro-7 for the bores and a big 'ol Crest Sonic tank,and once a year the copper gets evicted.

Ultrasonic tanks ROCK!!!!!!!
I wish everyone here could have one at home to enjoy!

You should see how they clean fired Match Brass,wedding rings,Knives,and other things!

Keep safe all!
S-28
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:54:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Break-Free CLP.  After I break it down I run a patch saturated with Hoppe's No.9 thru the barrel then set it aside while I tend to the other parts.  Then a couple dry patches thru it and finish with clp alternating wet and dry till the patch comes out clean.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#7]
... Simple Green is the shnitz, but I ruined four aluminum rims on a new Corvette I owned in the late 80's

... I would caution to keep it away from non-ferrous metals.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:49:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Break Free CLP, always have had great luck with it and unless some magic lube suddenly falls from heaven, it's what I'll stick with...

Winston is very correct about Simple Green, an absolute NO-NO for aluminum, the U.S. Military forbids its use.  There was a thread on this topic a few months back, or do a 'net search for Simple Green and DOD... It was interesting just how much damage that green juice can do...
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Depends really.
For a clp I will use nothing but FP-10,for normal cleaning,lubing and protection.
Bore solvents I use mostly Hoppe's No.9,followed up with Mil-comm MC-25 for cleaning real nasty bores.
For Copper I use Sweets 7.62,Bore Tech Benchrest Blend or Copper Remover.
Raymond
View Quote

FYI, Sweets is an amonia based cleaner and should not be used on chrome lined barrels.  Any amonia based cleaner will eat away at the crome lining of your rifle's bore.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Bronze bore brush soaked in No.9 followed by dry patches and finally clp for storage.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Breakfree CLP...all I've used on all my other guns and it's worked just fine
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Mpro-7. I thought CLP was the best till I saw how that stuff ate through carbon.

CLP for cleaning stuff not heavily coated in carbon, like the fire control parts. Mpro-7 for the bolt, bore, etc.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Hoppes Semi-Auto #9 for me in all my semi-autos. Seems to evaporate and not leave gunk to catch debris. Then I Militec parts, not bore.

MM419
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys! Is Mpro-7 a solvent? Is it better than Bush's Bore Shine or Shooters Choice?
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FYI, Sweets is an amonia based cleaner and should not be used on chrome lined barrels.  Any amonia based cleaner will eat away at the crome lining of your rifle's bore.  
View Quote

Source: [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/faqnew/content_by_cat.asp?contentid=185&catid=101[/url]

According to Bushmaster -
The ammonia in Sweet's will not harm the chrome lining of the barrel, but long exposure may damage the receiver's finish.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been using clenzoil, I really like it, works great,

On my bolts and carriers I use militech, makes the carbon come off easier
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#17]
ya, Militec is working great for me as well...

LittleJacek
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Eds Red. Or whatever guncleaning product i got for free this week. With all the free sample I aquire, i havent bought gun cleaning stuff in at least 5 years...
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#19]
BF or EEZOX!  solvent on the rare copper removing occasion!
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I use Hoppes #9 and then clp on all my guns,white grease for the moving metal to metal parts and silicon for the wood.Always have, and never a spot of rust.
I have recently used a spray cleaner to blow out the carbon in the chambers and it works very well, and then a lick of oil on a rag. Works great on the 10/22's I have as they get real gruby with carbon in there little chambers after 400 or 500 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I am trying to use up the RoyCo gallon jug I bought so I can finally switch to something that doesn't STINK so bad.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#22]
FP-10.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#23]
For normal cleaning I use Breakfree CLP for my long guns.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]
breakfree clp...

or a blast of brake cleaner... let it set a few minutes... patch it out... then a bore brush with clp... then more patches... then a bunch of patches with clp on em... then dry patches... then a patch with clp, which by this time should come out mostly clean... for those really messy barrels... [:D]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top