Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2003 3:36:53 PM EDT
Read the post, below, relative to bronze or nylon in a chrome bore. I generally use bronze, howwever, I've seen one guy at the club that will sometimes use a SS brush----what is the effect of something like that on a chrome bore?

A second, related, question:  I typically clean from the chamber end with a nylon coated rod, pushing the brush all the way through and then reversing course and pulling it back out.  I know that that practice isn't exactly great for brush life, however, will something like that inadvertently hurt the bore and/or muzzle?
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#1]
SS brushes will definitely scratch a regular steel bore – I don’t know if this is an issue with a chrome lined one.  OTOH, I can’t see any reason to use one in a chrome bore, anyway.

I use SS brushes [b]solely[/b] for corroded barrels (say, in old military guns).  If I feel a decent bore needs a really good scrubbing, I use an abrasive such as J-B Bore Paste.

I also typically go both ways with a bore brush.  In theory, I guess that might add a bit of wear on the muzzle as the brush reenters the bore.

I use brushes with brass shanks and couplings (in other words, all brass/bronze brushes) to minimize any possible wear from this.

A more legitimate concern with going both ways – though I ignore it – is that you’re just moving crud back and forth in the barrel rather than constantly moving it toward and ultimately out the muzzle.  

Basically, I use the brush to simply loosen up the crud, which I then mop up with a patch.  However, I always use a bore guide - in part - to make sure that as I pull the brush from the muzzle to the chamber, I don’t drag any of this crud (which is abrasive) into the chamber or action of the rifle
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Read the post, below, relative to bronze or nylon in a chrome bore. I generally use bronze, howwever, I've seen one guy at the club that will sometimes use a SS brush----what is the effect of something like that on a chrome bore?

A second, related, question:  I typically clean from the chamber end with a nylon coated rod, pushing the brush all the way through and then reversing course and pulling it back out.  I know that that practice isn't exactly great for brush life, however, will something like that inadvertently hurt the bore and/or muzzle?
View Quote

--------

I use to use a SS brush on black powder revolvers to remove lead with good results. However, I don't think this is necessary in a rifle shooting copper clad bullets. If they guy in question likes it and doesn't mind increased barrel erosion or shortened life, more power to him.

I find a phosphor bronze cleaning brush and a decent solvent, like shooters choice, to be more than adequate to keep my barrel like new and shooting at point of aim. In fact I routinely get left to right sub MOA groups with iron sights out of my Bushy M-4 type at 100 yards off a sandbag at the police range. Of course elevation is much harder to judge with the stock front sight post. So groups tend to be over MOA up and down. In my view this isn't the rifles fault, but my inability to consistently hold the same elevation with the stock sight.

I have no doubt that if I decided to mount a scope to the rifle sub-MOA out of this rifle wouldn't only be possible after cleaning, but a certainty. BTW, that's with Q-3131A. I use Militec-1 as a lubricant, which is very helpful in keeping the barrel clean, as well as good and slick.

As for pulling brushes back through the barrel, this will hurt neither the brush or the barrel. Just as long as, like you said, the brush has exited the muzzle before being pulled back through.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
As 199 stated,I would and only use a stainless bore brush on corroded and negected bores like found in most surplus military weapons like mausers etc.
The Stainless bore brushes are very harsh and can damage/scratch bores as well as increase wear decreasing barrel life and accuracy.
Raymond
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top