Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2003 8:03:52 PM EDT
Okay..Okay...I know that some people are going to tell me that it's not going to stay new forever but I still have to ask...What can I use to remove the brass colored marks on the Brass Deflector? I tried clenzoil and gunscrubber, neither really work that well.  Is there something else out there that would take this off easier or should I just forget about it and let it be..Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I know of nothing. Im sure there is though. OK you want to hear it. Let it be.   :)  Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:21:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Break Free CLP and an old toothbrush.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Slip 2000 Lubricant (CLP) and there Carbon Cutter works great!
Crisco
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn’t worry about it myself.

If it really bothers you, just about any good copper removing solvent should get it off.  I understand that a cold blue will also do a good job
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]
To prevent future brass marks, place two layers of black electrical tape on the defelctor.  Remove tape when you get home.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t worry about it myself.

If it really bothers you, just about any good copper removing solvent should get it off.  I understand that a cold blue will also do a good job
View Quote

I would be afraid that the copper solvent would discolor, or otherwise damage the parkerizing finish and/or the anodizing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...I would be afraid that the copper solvent would discolor, or otherwise damage the parkerizing finish and/or the anodizing.
View Quote

Not in my experience.

Like myself, many folks occasionally use a copper removing solvent such as Shooter’s Choice to remove copper fouling from the bore, and sometimes even to remove carbon fouling from other parts.

I’ve never heard anyone complain about it damaging anodizing or parkerizing.

Not saying it couldn’t happen, just that I’ve never heard of it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I just use Breakfree and a patch rub it a bunch of times and it ussually comes right off.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks for all the info fellas
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...I would be afraid that the copper solvent would discolor, or otherwise damage the parkerizing finish and/or the anodizing.
View Quote

Not in my experience.

Like myself, many folks occasionally use a copper removing solvent such as Shooter’s Choice to remove copper fouling from the bore, and sometimes even to remove carbon fouling from other parts.

I’ve never heard anyone complain about it damaging anodizing or parkerizing.

Not saying it couldn’t happen, just that I’ve never heard of it.
View Quote

Fair enough.  I was just parnoid about using Sweet's.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:38:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Fair enough. I was just [red]paranoid[/red] about using Sweet's.
View Quote

Sweets 7.62 is ALL I ever use to clean my firearms, that and SuperTech 2000 carb cleaner from Walmart for rinsing and CLP for lubing.

While Sweets is very tough on copper removal, one [b]MUST be certain[/b] to clean it completely from the bore as it is so strong, Hence the 2000 rinse, (btw, ST2000 has none of the methanol crap of regular carb cleaners, which makes it a safer product to use).

From my plinker ARs to my LR stainless steel barreled ARs and bolt rifles, while I would not recommend getting it on a wooden stock, it has never harmed the parkerization on any of my rifles or pistols for that matter.

Sorry for veering off topic, but when clean-up time comes Sweets is a great product and makes short work of copper fouling, IMO....

Mike
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry for veering off topic, but when clean-up time comes Sweets is a great product and makes short work of copper fouling, IMO....

Mike
View Quote

I agree completely.  Sweet's is the most bad-assed stuff I ever bought, from a gun cleaning perspective.  The first time I used it, I was amazed at how well it worked.  

I learned pretty quick not to take any deep breaths while working with the stuff, though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
... I was just parnoid about using Sweet's.
View Quote

Understandable!!  [:)]

Sweets is pretty awesome stuff that doesn’t give much room for carelessness!!  By all accounts, it will corrode a bore if left too long.

Still, while I could care less about brass marks on an AR deflector, I occasionally use Sweets to remove marks on handguns where I’ve used a brass punch to drift sights.  I’ve never had a problem, and the marks disappear almost instantaneously!!

Incidentally, in my experience, Sweets doesn’t seem to do much in my AR bores (possibly since they’re pretty well made, chrome plated, properly broken in, and well maintained to begin with).  

However, I find it’s truly fantastic in larger, unplated rifle bores, especially of military rifles.

It also does a great job of clearing out my sinuses!!  [:D]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top