Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2003 7:47:12 PM EDT
Please help me figure out how I should go about this...

An AR with a 20" bbl. I have a 24" dewey rod and a bore guide. Set it up and pushed the rod(with bronze brush) down the bbl. Quickly found out that it wasnt going to come out the other end. I guess I screwed up and need a 30" rod and not 24". I havent messed with it because I know I shouldnt take pull it back out through the chamber and there isnt a way to take off the handle of the rod *i think*.

All thoughts and replies are welcome.

-pics-

(sandle is proping it upright)
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
hehehehe... I did that [b]once[/b], now I always check the length of my cleaning rod vs the length of my upper.

Is there anyway you can unscrew the rod from the bronze brush?  If you can grasp the tip of the bronze brush with a pair of long-nose pliers, or if you can twist the rod itself (you still have some sticking out of your barrel), you might be able to twist off the rod.

If you get the rod out, all you need to do is push out the bronze brush with a longer rod.

That is how I got my stuck cleaning rod out of my barrel.

Good luck!

Av.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Reversing a bore brush mid-way through a barrel isn't particularly nice on the bristles on the brush, but I doubt it will hurt the barrel in any way.  The barrel steel is a lot harder than that brush.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Just pull the rod back out. You won't hurt the barrel at all, the steel used to make it is FAR harder than the bronze used for that brush. Be advised that the brush will probably need to be trashed, but that's the only negative thing that will happen.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, it [b]looks[/b] easy to fix.

Take a pair of pliers and grab hold of the large nub between the bore guide and the red plastic handle.  This nub is attached to the cleaning rod itself and should turn as the rod turns.  Turn the nub counterclockwise to unscrew the rod from the brush.

Remove the rod.  If you’ve got a longer rod, simply slide it into the barrel, screw it onto the brush and push the brush the rest of the way out.

If you don’t have a longer rod, see if you’ve got a segment of another rod that you can screw onto the Dewey to make it longer.  Note that some military type AR segmented rods have a different thread and won’t work very well.

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't have a longer rod, you might as well get one since you know yours is too short.After unscrewing the rod from the brush, a proper length of 3/16" wood dowel could be used to push the brush the rest of the way out the muzzle. Reversing direction and bending the brush should also work well. What is that black shape behind the red handle of the cleaning rod? Do you leave the charging handle in place while using the bore guide?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks to me like the charging handle. [>:/]
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you don't have a longer rod, you might as well get one since you know yours is too short.After unscrewing the rod from the brush, a proper length of 3/16" wood dowel could be used to push the brush the rest of the way out the muzzle. Reversing direction and bending the brush should also work well. What is that black shape behind the red handle of the cleaning rod? Do you leave the charging handle in place while using the bore guide?
View Quote

yes, I dunno why I left it in, just impatient I guess.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top