Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2003 2:45:26 PM EDT
It sort of looks like mineral build-up, but what? Has this light-bluish and white crusty look, it cleaned off easily.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to clean it a little longer! Use CLP.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Saint,

Yea, I've noticed the same thing on my Bushy with Mini Y-Comp.  Cleans off pretty easily but I've wondered what it is as well.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
What did you use for a bore cleaner ?  Did you use Hoppes 9 ?

I had the same thing happen to me when I used Hoppes 9.  DESPITE what some will say, Hoppes 9 does disslove copper very slightly... slightly enough to leave a residue, which is blue-green in color.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
g35 that is a great point, i did use #9 and that color is consistent with tarnished copper.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Hoppe's #9 is a great and mild copper remover.  It works great for us old guys that still do the three day douche out before putting a weapon up in storage.  I have a 1100sqft basement and many MTM CaseGuard cleaning racks!

Dave S

BTW, yes, it is your #9&copper residue that you see on you blast enhanser.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
clean your barrel dry if it's chrome lined.  otherwise you'll get the blue stuff and i've heard it's not good to leave it wet.  i had blue stuff leaking out of my AK once.  didn't do any harm and cleaned out easily.  pretty much all i clean with is hoppes #9.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top