Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2003 8:03:47 AM EDT
I was perusing my local Big Lots the other day and came across a "parts washer".  It is a table top red metal box with a hinged lid.  There is a removable tray inside.  What you do, is fill the bottom of the washer with mineral spirits, flip a switch, and a built in pump squirts the fluid through a flexible nozzle.  I found this thing to be great for cleaning the bolt/carrier from my AR.  I also use it on my 1911A1, all I do is remove the grip panels, dissassemble the gun, drop it in, and come back in an hour to a squeaky clean gun!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Hum, sounds interesting.

How much did you pay for the thing?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it was thirty-something bucks at the local Big Lots.  Then I paid $2.99/gallon for the mineral spirits at my local hardware store.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the parts washer we had when I was a mechanic.  For $30.00 I'm guessing it's pretty small?  What are the dimesions of the tank?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not in front of it right now, but it does hold about four gallons of fluid before it will start draining out of an overflow hole.  I figure it to be about eighteen inches wide, twelve inches deep, and ten inches tall.  It is a table top model.  I was easily able to fit in the bolt/carrier/charging handle from two ARs, a full size 1911A1, and the slide from a Springfield XD.  To clean my lower receiver from the AR, I hold it over, and use the nozzle to squirt the fluid in.  I love this new toy!  The brand is something like Big Red something's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a great way to clean. Cheap too, especially for those that have a workshop etc.....

Beats heck out of the bucket routine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats a great idea.

That reminds me of the mechanics in my old unit used to take their rifles to the motor pool when we used to have to clean weapons.

Their M16's would be spotless and it wouldn't take them very long to clean them also.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#7]
UPDATE:  Dateline OHIO... The brand of the machine is Big Red Jacks...
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have a Harbor Freight Tool Warehouse in your area, they carry a 3 gallon sized cleaner for about $50. They go on sale about every other month for about $35. The also have a small gallon sized can and basket great for cleaning fire control parts and bolts. Check out this link, they will deliver.

[url]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38347[/url]

[url]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35400[/url]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top