Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 4:06:26 AM EDT
I just got a new Bolt from Oly Arms.  Actually, it is a year old, but i never installed it, bought it as a spare.  After just cycling it a few times after cleaning, I noticed one of the locking lug teeth was slightly chipped on the corner.  It is a very slight chip, but i can see a bit of shiny metal underneath.  Should I be worried and not risk firing the rifle with this bolt?
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just got a new Bolt from Oly Arms.  Actually, it is a year old, but i never installed it, bought it as a spare.  After just cycling it a few times after cleaning, I noticed one of the locking lug teeth was slightly chipped on the corner.  It is a very slight chip, but i can see a bit of shiny metal underneath.  Should I be worried and not risk firing the rifle with this bolt?
View Quote

---------

Are you sure it's a chip or just a wear mark?

If you're sure it's a chip, I would call Oly arms and send it back. Maybe they can discover what the problem is, and will send you a new one.

Sounds heat treat related to me if its chipping when it comes in contact with other steel surfaces.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
At one of the corners of the tooth, the corner is chipped and there is a tiny bit of metal showing.  It hasn't been fired and only cycled through a few times for function checks.  I don't think it is a wear mark, as none of my other bolts have shown any significant wear until many rounds down range.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Call 'em up and tell them about it.

I'm sure they would be interested in learning about such a problem.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally would not put this bolt in my rifle.  Bolts are cheap and your safety is worth much more.  Send it back to the factory, they should do the right thing.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top