Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2003 6:13:37 PM EDT
Any thoughts about Break Free for a kid like me who only shoots about 60 rounds a week?  What about RemDry as lube?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Breakfree CLP is pretty much the standard for AR’s and certainly will work well.

There are other fine lubricants and/or solvents that also work well (FP-10 comes to mind), but Breakfree will definitely get you by!

I have no experience with RemDry.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I would use a good clp like FP-10.Its much easier to deal with.Lubes and protects as it cleans.
Break Free works great but FP-10 is a better lubricant.
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#3]
i don't like RemDry as a lube for my AR.  when your injecting hot dusty gas into the action of a weapon oil tends to lubricate the action and a dry lube seems to make the action jam because the powder residue builds up on the bolt and carrier and jams the gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, I'm new to the AR and was looking for a few opinions and now I know ar15.com is the place to be.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a product out called "Blue Wonder". It's the only product I will know use to clean any of my rifles, including my issued M-4 carbine. You can find them here:
[url] http://www.novumsolutions.com/ [/url]
Write them and ask for a free sample.

Remember, it's a cleaner, not a lube. You'll have to select something else for that, (Such as their "Armadillo" dry lubricant. I just finished testing this product, in preperation for a tour in the big sandbox, and have found it to be a superior product, but it is not for a beginner, as it takes a certian knowledge of where to lube and how much with this particular product. If you are comfortable, stick with the Rem-Lube for now, and try to Armadillo later.

Lot's of Luck..

Matt
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Break Free on all my firearms now. That stuff is great!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:18:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Be safe and cover your six in the big "sand box."  You're ALL heroes, but we'd prefer you wlking upright for as long as possible.

God bless.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks FED-up,

Looks like that trip might be put off for a while, but it will happen, later if not sooner.

As far as my "6", I'd sooner sniper crawl than high crawl.........forget that whole 3-5 second rush thing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:14:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use Break Free on all my firearms now. That stuff is great!
View Quote

I also use BreakFree CLP on all my firearms.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I also use BreakFree CLP but [b]ONLY[/b] to clean. I dont trust the stuff as a lube.  Someone posted the way it is.  Jack of all trades, master of none.  I use Militec-1 for lube all the way.  CLP is good to clean but not to lube.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#11]
In my book "Break Free", and Wilson Combat's "Ultima-Lube" grease(comes in syringe) and "Ultima-Lube" oil are the best out there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The problem with Break Free is that it is a poor lubricant.

It is too thin, and the solvent contained in the formula has a tendancy to dry the lubricant away after a few days or weeks. It also has the tendancy to attract lint, dust, dirt, sand and anything else that happens to be around. When the drying process then takes place this mixture turns into a gooey substance that makes carbon very difficult to remove.

A much better solution is to use a seperate solvent, such as shooters choice, Hoppe's etc(only to bolt or bore, never to the receiver).... followed lightly by a dedicated lubricant, such as Militec-1, etc.... applied to bearing and high wear surfaces. I use a paint brush to apply mine inside the upper receiver and to bolt areas, etc......

This will cut down on the amount of dried carbon that will adhere to surfaces inside the upper receiver and on the bolt, and make cleanup much easier. A rag, toothbrush, q-tips and pipe cleaner is all I ever need outside of the bore(no scaping).

There is no doubt that currently most of the malfunctions attributable to the AR-15 series of rifles are due to improper and inadequate lubrication, rather than inadequate cleaning.

A large part of this problem are the characteristics of CLP's which are a compromise, but in reality do nothing exceptionally well. In my opinion, it can only be considered a poor solvent and an inadequate lubricant.

James
former USMC ('79-84)
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top