Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2003 8:01:40 PM EDT
Chlorinated, non-chlorianted, is there a particular brand that works better?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I get the cheapest non-chlorinated brake cleaner I can find at local stores (Walmart, Kmart, Target, various auto parts stores).

I also check the ingredients to try getting something that has the least nasty chemicals in it (as far as health). But if you don't know your chemicals, and haven't checked out any MSDSes, then just get any old nonchlorinated.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been looking into that myself.

I've never found a straight cut answer. One says Chlorine, next guy days non-chlorinated.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The nonchlorinated is just less harsh; both will work but I prefer to clean my rifles without taking a year off my life each time I do it. With nonchlorinated, I only take off half a year. It's also (slightly) safer to the ozone layer and the water table, if that matters to anyone. It seems like the smart thing to do, especially since it doesn't involve any extra effort; just pick the can that says "non". MSDSes are fun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Whatever's cheapest.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
My best results have been from the Albany brand brake cleaner at Autozone.  It has a pretty good blasting action, and doesn't smell too God-awful.

I've tried the Walmart "SuperTech" brand, and it sucks.  It stinks like hell, and comes out more like spray paint than a nice strong jet.  I think it also has acetone in there, which I could do without.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The absolute best brake cleaner is MOPAR from your Dodge dealer extra heavy duty.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I ditto on the cheapest stuff, usually the WalMart brand for $0.88/can. In general, I use it to hose down the bolt carrier and its innards after scrubbing with CLP, and the chamber with the barrel pointing down after using the chamber cleaning brush. I try to make sure it doesn't get on anything plastic just in case.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#8]
not to get off subject too much but.......Buster51, if you think that mopar junk works good then you need to try BG. When i turned wrenches at the dodge garage it took twice as much mopar to do the same cleaning (and it doesn't smell as bad) BG is not cheap, but if you're going to spend the money you might as well have the best to clean the best.
[;D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Non-chlorinated has worked great for years.

I wear gloves and spray outside.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I use permatex brand... from the guys that brought you loctite. Of course I also use it to clean my Nitro RC car, remove sticker gunk, Tar and bugs from my car, clean small engine parts, clean the major crud off of my crossbow when I've been out in the woods playing and dragging it through the mud, cologne, a desert topping, and adding a kick to a nice frosty beverage...
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I was using some penzzoil to clean my chamber and so forth and near the lugs I saw a dark spot and then I sprayed the brake cleaner in the upper and all of a sudden a baked on layer of grease came out of my BM upper. And this upper is brand new. You guys think I should re-grease it or jsut use CLP.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
non-chlorianted    CRC green can
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]
That's the stuff I usually use, from AutoZone when it's on sale.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Any brake cleaner will work but chlorinated brake cleaner always cleans better than the "non" variant. Harder on the environment but easier on the elbows.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#15]
JUST SHOOT IT  I never tryed bg but i will i'm just about out of mopar now .I use it more on my H&k and cetmes any way ,but what ever works faster is where it's at.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top