Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2003 12:22:06 AM EDT
I have recently conversed with a few people regarding the replacement of the gas rings on my bolt with a single piece, helical gas ring (looks like a coiled spring of gas-ring material).

Has anybody used this item before?  Is it any better than regular gas rings?

The reason I am going to it is threefold:

1) I hate "re-gapping" the damn gas rings every time I clean my AR

2) I've seen chewed-up, broken gas rings on a buddy's Colt, and the coiled gas ring has 2 more layers than the regular 3 gas rings, meaning, in theory, more mean rounds between parts failure

3) It was recommended to me by someone whose opinion I value.

HOWEVER...

I am loathe to step away from the mil-spec.  Mil-spec is milspec for a REASON.

Just wanted some input as to whether or not the reasoning is sound in this case.

Panz
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine works fine and I have never heard of them causing a problem.  If you don't like re-gapping the rings, try it out.

EDITED:  As far as MILSPEC goes, in many cases I agree, but I believe this was put on the market relatively recently.  Not every new item can be MILSPEC, be it better or worse than current issue...
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used one for a couple of years now with no problems. I'm kinda paranoid about the milspec gaping, but that's just my own quirk. I have seen very few malfunctions (maby one if I recall correctly)with the milspec. I think it had no lube on the bolt also.
If the remote posibility bothers you, then go with the one piece, but the milspec works fine. The only reason I use it is for piece of mind, but then I carry a spare bolt assembly with the milspec rings-- just in case.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, having HAD short-shucking problems with my rifle, having torn it down to see that the gas rings were all lined up, I have reason to be concerned in my opinion.

If the one piece is as durable/lasts as long as the milspec, then I will go ahead and upgrade.

I was just concerned about making an "upgrade" that isn't...like the titanium firing pin.

Panz
[bounce]
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
i've been using the McFarland gas rings for several years... and while i haven't been burning up the ammo that some guys have durring that time, i've found them to be reliable and durable.

they don't have the thin spots that the GI rings have... they are the same dimensions for their whole length.

you can store a spare on a saftey pin inside your cleaning kit.

at $1.25 each, they are CHEAPER than GI!!!

a new one will be a little tight, but i've never had that be a problem.

i still have rifles that came with the GI rings,  and i just left 'em in there. no point in pulling 'em out ahead of time on the RANGE rifles... but the grab-n-go stuff has 'em!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top