Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2003 5:45:29 PM EDT
HI,

I would like to have some help for this as it is a pain in the ass.I have the worst time getting the retaining pin, for the fireing pin,back in.It is just a pain in the ass, there have to be something out there to make it easier. I am wondering if there is a place I can buy a better retaining pin so it will go into place a lot easier.Thanks,Kev
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I took a file to the tips of mine to make them "pointy".  You could try that (that is, it will have a point like a nail).

The other option is to get one of those DPMS one-piece retaining pins [url=http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=BT-16S]here at DPMS[/url].

I've used it now in an upper and have had no problems after 150 rounds.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#2]

ZMEJA, thanks so much. I am so sick of trying to get them in and taking to much time to get that retaining pin back in for the firing pin, if this saves me that time and aggravation I will order many of them,and by the PIC they look stronger also Thanks,again,Kev
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Just put the pin in, rest one of the halves of the pin in the hole (notice the hole is on a round bolt, so it as a nice flat spot there) then take a punch, or a toothpick, or anything that will fit in there, press on the top of the pin, and push it in.  You're done.  Very simple.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Simple... Hmm - I would agree if you had a cooperative pin. But I have the same problem. In fact my AR is sitting waiting for me to try to get the darn thing in (gave up after 15min). It never really went in right. I filed it a bit, but not to a point.  Getting in the first hole is no problem - but it doesnt "pinch" enough to make the pin compress enough to go thru the other side hole. I used to be able to get plyers on it and twist it into going in, but this time I couldnt get it.  I will go try to grind it to a point, but getting the DPMS pin sounds like a plan.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top