Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/9/2003 11:09:18 AM EDT
Hi, all, I have a 20 inch chromed barrel.  I can't believe how much blue is coming out with the copper solvent.  Brushing and sixty copper solvent patches later, it still has blue.  Only 1400 rounds through it.  Is this normal?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If your using a brass brush, it's the brush that is turning the bore/patch blue/green.

Use the brush once, then finish off the cleaning with patches only.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I sure feel stupid now, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah never scrub with a copper solvent with a bronze brush. remember bronze is an alloy containing copper!
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#4]
You can use a Nylon brush too.

Change to a plastic/nylon patch Jag also.
A brass jag will still put enough residue in your barrel to make the patches come out blue.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, guys.  I felt really stupid once I read your replies.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I use Sweet's copper solvent, and they tell you to scrub the patch back and forth in the barrel.

I have some of the regular brass jags but find them useless for the most part.  I get better results, especially in the "scrubbing" stage, with a steel loop type jag.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top