Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2003 8:04:47 PM EDT
Just picked up a new Armalite 15A4. It was a display model and the box is long gone. Called the factory for missing items. While waiting for rings, paperwork, etc. I'd like to test fire at the local range. I'm pretty sure I see what needs to be lubed beforehand but could you folks give me a basic outline of what should be done. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your new rifle!

Read this: [url=http://ar15.com/content/books/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf]TM9-1005-319-10.pdf[/url]

Then look thru the manuals here:
[url]http://ar15.com/content/books/[/url]

ENJOY!

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
That's neat. On the USMC manual it says that CLP (Breakfree I'm guessing) has Teflon in it, and that it is a good thing. I thought Breakfree didn't have teflon, or does it?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
All the Break Free Ive ever had,including the jug I have here has/had PTFE powder in it.
I dont think the RoyCo clp has the PTFE.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing that PTFE is teflon, so is it a bad idea to use it as a bore rust preventant in a non-chrome lined bore? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah PTFE is teflon.
As far as the PTFE causing accuracy problems I would say that depends on who you talk to.
Personally I used Break Free clp on my weapons and in the bores starting in 1989 up until recently and never had a problem,nor could I see any accuracy problems.
I use TW-25B and MC-2500 currently on my AR's and Beretta and it contains way more PTFE than Break Free.Accuracy remains the same,excellent no change.
So I say no its not a problem,but others may disagree.
If the PTFE is a problem for you then try some Firepower FP-10 CLP.The FP-10 CLP is great and much better then the other clp's in my opinion.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:27:19 AM EDT
[#6]
break it in with something less than optimal like Hoppe's oil. its got viscosity and its lube ablities aren't the greatest. remember your rifle is NEW it needs to break in ie wear in. after 200-500 rounds switch to a good lube like FP-10 (which is killer for cleaning) or millitec-1, armalube, tw-25b
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top