Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/7/2003 10:57:50 PM EDT
Which would you rather see replace Breakfree CLP in the military, Firepower FP-10 or Militec-1? Why? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Because FP-10 is a cleaner,lubricant and protectant that just flat out works perfectly for me.
Not to mention I just love the smell.
Firepower is actively supportive of and engaged in the sport.
Thats enough for me.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#2]
FP-10, because you can't clean a gun with Militec.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I use shooters choice followed by MiliTec1  
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I have a question. On Militec's website, it says that you can completey wipe all the Militec-1 off the weapon and it will still lubercate as if it were still there. Is this also true of FP-10? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#5]

[url]http://www.fp10.com/[/url]
Firepower FP-10TM can be wiped completely clean and dry visually, and to the touch, and will still retain more than adequate lubrication on the surfaces of the weapon. This is due to the fact that the metal has been provided a "chemical boundary film" caused by the reaction of the halogenated hydrocarbon's active component with the Iron anions in the steel. This chemical boundary film (matrix) locks lubrication into the film, and beneath it, while supporting enormous metal-to-metal pressure contacts, minimizing wear, and significantly extending the life of the weapon. If wiped dry, (to the naked eye and touch) there is still ample lubrication within the film matrix and beneath it. The liquid component (oil) is ALWAYS necessary, and must be present for the boundary film to work, even if in a "vapor phase".
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes militec-1 can be dry lubed. I have done so and then shot several hundred rounds in one sitting. No problems or wear on the gun. Before I bought some I had my biochemist roommate look at the patents for militec-1. He said it should do what they claim and it has.

It is possible to clean with militec-1; it has a mild scrubber. Once you bake on militec-1, carbon is much easier to remove and I only use a solvent for the bore.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
you should have seen the ranting on militec-1's website when they bitched about not being on the DOD's list for use and that the DOD is getting US soliders in Iraq killed by not using there products. That was what made me switch to FP-10, it's pathetic what Militec-1 said, plus there not even a CLP.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
So which one (In your experience) dry lubes better, Militec-1 or FP-10?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Militec does better for me- that's what I took with me in my buttstock to Iraq, and that's what I gave the other Marines in my platoon.  

My platoon did plenty of firing, and had no rifle jams to report, thankfully!  CLP definitely would not have gotten the job done out there.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Just my opinion, but I don't like CLPs. The requirements of cleaning and lubing are different. Reminds me of a saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none."
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Does FP-10 and Militec-1 have teflon?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#12]
No, actually something that lubes better and lasts longer than teflon.  Some kind of synthetic molecule- I can't remember the name right now, and I'm too lazy to check the bottle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Chlorinated halogenated hydrocarbon.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#14]
FP-10. It's the only CLP in your poll.

I like it, it made me switch from BreakFree.
I use Militec-1 when I want an extra slick lube.
(that sounds...dirty [:D])

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll stick with the standard breakfree CLP.

The way i see it, if it ain't borke, don't fix it.

I have yet to have a problem with CLP. Hence, i see no need for a remedy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Alright, now I just have to say it.

[size=6]Breakfree supports anti-gun organizations.[/size=6]

There, I said it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad you posted this poll cause I was about to.  I think fp10 has it in that it is a CLP yet I am not as confident in it's lubing properties.  Militec1 wins that hands down I think yet does NOTHING for protectant aspects PERIOD.  Thing is it takes so little militec to do the lube job that it is safe for all lubing needs.  It does make cleaning easier but not enough(and it is costly) to go drenching parts with it for scrubbing.

It comes down to environments applicable.  I would not trust Militec in the jungle anymore than I would trust FP10 in the desert.

Seems there is always a trade off with products and none of them do all 3(CLP) aspects great.  but may do one or two very well!  If Militec1 could clean and protect as well as it lubes it would be the end all!

PS.  Militec1's website letters/claims are a bit of a turnoff in the way they are trying to promote by the deaths of soldiers.  And their claim of good protection is flase inmy experience and I truly tested that!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, both FP-10 and Militec-1 would work equally well in a desert setting because it can be applied, then wiped off until it is dry to the touch, but they will both still keep lubeing the weapon, right?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Right.
Go the the FP-10 website and read the technical section.That will explain how the boundary film technology works.At least thats the best information I have found on the subject.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Thats the best info to start with anyway.  I would not take any info given on a products website as the gospel.  They have an interest in sounding good!  Get samples and try them out!  fp10 has not protected as well as I expected and left small rust spots on a pistol I own after a day of hot/humid shooting.  Nothing major but I was a bit suprised.  I found it attracted stuff also though not nearly as bad as breakfree.

Plus, if you wipe it off like stated it won't protect very well at all.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Well said Horik.
What I was refering to was how the boundary film technology works and is placed on the metal.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well said Horik.
What I was refering to was how the boundary film technology works and is placed on the metal.
Raymond
View Quote

I hear ya....and agree 100%!  Just think!  Someday someone might make a product to do everything as equally great as the boundry film tech. and yeeeeeehaaaaaaa!  Then Crap!  What we all have to gab about....[:D]  I guess till then I'll keep using FP and MIL1.  And anything else new that comes our way[:)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah I like the new stuff as well.I have a sample of the new Mil-spec formula of Slip2000 CLP that they have just released,but have yet to try it.
I have not had any problems with rust or fouling attachment with the FP-10 like you have.So I cant complain as it has performed perfectly for me.
I use TW-25B on my Armalites and pistols and the FP-10 on my C&R bolt guns,cetme and sks's etc..
As far as Im concerned the TW-25B rules in lubrication and protection so it goes on my expensive toys.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There, I said it.
View Quote

What the hell are you talking about??  Links?? Proof??
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Does it make sense to use miltec in certain areas of the rifle for lubrication, then something else on other parts (or even on top of the miltec???) to prevent rust?

Is there some kind of trade off (dry lubes don't attract stuff but don't protect against rust), or does something do both (lube w/o attracting & prevent rust)?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There, I said it.
View Quote

What the hell are you talking about??  Links?? Proof??
View Quote

Breakfree's parent company [Armor Holdings] gives money to that Chief of Police monkey organization that always shows up at Brady Bunch gatherings to show their support. If you want proof, give em a call.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does it make sense to use miltec in certain areas of the rifle for lubrication, then something else on other parts (or even on top of the miltec???) to prevent rust?

Is there some kind of trade off (dry lubes don't attract stuff but don't protect against rust), or does something do both (lube w/o attracting & prevent rust)?
View Quote

Try EEZOX if you can get it.  You can put it on lightly and it will more or less dry to the touch preventing dust build up, etc. for a large part.  It is the best corosion/rust preventative I have ever used period.  I cannot say it's lube properties are the equal to militec but I will say they are quite good and have never fouled my AR's even after many uncleaned shooting sesions.  I have found you can literally run water over the stuff let it sit on metal and it wont rust.  Not scientific but it is what I found!  They have a website and it's been around for some time!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Do I need to remove my previous cleaner (Clenzoil) before I put on the FP-10 CLP?

And is the Mil-Tech really worth the $$$?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#29]
No, you can put FP-10 on top of anything. Go to [url]www.militec.com[/url] and order a free sample of it to see if you like it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#30]
If you want all the insight as to the workings of fp-10, the creator/producer of the product, George Fennell, tells all at www.1911forum.com
Just do a search on fp-10.  You will then see why many people are hardcore fp-10 users.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:05:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I mix Militec-1 with Eezox CLP with good results.  It does not gum up and gives very good lubrication while still having cleaning and protecting abilities.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#32]
george is a stand up guy and a man of his word. i have corresponded several times with him and he even sent me some free stuff.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I mix Militec-1 with Eezox CLP with good results.  It does not gum up and gives very good lubrication while still having cleaning and protecting abilities.
View Quote

I have done this as well and also I use both products seperately with PERFECT results!  They are the only two main products I use!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Got my free sample of miltec in the mail today WOW I can clean and lube my weapon's put it in my car's engine and transmission, use it in my chainsaw etc...........two word's.....SNAKE-OIL

[SNIPER2]             [HEADBANG]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I use a combination of different products for certain applications.  For cleaning, Hoppes #9 solvent and copper remover.  JB bore compound, and bore bright twice a year to get a handle on the major fouling, Hoppes #9 solvent and KROIL to clean the barrel afterwards.  For the final touches, I use Militec-1 down the barrel.  I also use JPL-1 & 2 on the bolt and carrier (www.jprifles.com) with militec-1 on the metal surfaces that are not parkerized.  This seems to work, Militec-1 does not evaporate like CLP or any "light" oil.  I don't believe in a "all in one" type of product.  That is for when you are in the field and can only afford to carry a couple of 4 oz. bottles and a handfull of patches.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#36]
How about a something else option on that pole?

I wouldn't use militec or any CLP, don't give a shit who makes it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Why not?  Don't leave us hangin' man!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top