Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2003 2:52:26 PM EDT
Getting down to the nitty gritty about choosing, which one is easier to clean and maintain?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#1]
AR-10.

Though I view cleaning my M1A as a labor of love so it's not apples to apples in all fairness.

The AR can be cleaned from the breech which reduces potential damage to the bore/crown,and the chamber is more easily accessable for a proper scrubbing.
Downside is the scraping of carbon on the bolt carrier group,and all the Q-tipping.

Field stripping the AR is simpler.

Lube requirements for the AR are more straight forward.Breakfree in a light coat everywhere,and no worries about lubriplate in all the right spots.

The AR has no gas piston to fuss over.

With all that said,and even after having more than a few passing through my hands,I find the AR-10 a bit distastefull as a "Personal" rifle.
I'm more apt to treat it like an appliance or combination wrench.

The M14/M1A however is simply a joy with quirks that are easily accustomed to if you connect with the thing on a personal level.

If you are looking for a shoot,spritz,scrub,wipe and retire rifle.
The AR-10 is it.Same as the M-16/AR-15.

But then that's my .02.
S-28
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top