Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/27/2003 11:29:35 AM EDT
I was wondering if there is any way to clean these marks off of slides and recievers.

It doesnt bother me so much on my AR15, but I just bought a new HK USP 40, and after 150 rounds, I already have brass marks on the slide.  Same goes for my 1911.  

Is there any way to take them off, or is it a lost cause?

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Cold blue will take them off... But they will be back and most of us dont worry about them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was wondering if there is any way to clean these marks off of slides and recievers.

It doesnt bother me so much on my AR15, but I just bought a new HK USP 40, and after 150 rounds, I already have brass marks on the slide.  Same goes for my 1911.  

Is there any way to take them off, or is it a lost cause?

Thanks,
Scott
View Quote

CLP + Toothbrush + Elbow Grease will get rid of most if it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I kind of like the marks on my AR15 and FAL.  Gives it character.  But...on my brand new USP, it sort of bothers me.  I think its one of the best looking guns, and would like to keep it as nice as possible.  Same with my 1911.  The parkerizing really makes them show up.

My Beretta is the only gun which doesnt have shells bouncing off of it, so its not a problem.

Anyways, I will try the the cold blue stuff, or the CLP.  Will the cold blue stuff affect the finish on the HK?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Cold blue is OK where steel is bared by contact, but be sure to get it all off and protect the spot with oil or you'll get rust.

As for actual brass spots, just use Hoppe's and let it sit.  But why bother?  Overclean and you'll hurt your stuff.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Sweet's copper solvent seems to do a pretty fair job of getting rid of the brass marks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:51:29 AM EDT
[#6]
to keep them from getting marked, i use a piece of black electrical tape---after you shoot remove it and presto-----no brass marks    JIMBO
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top