Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2003 4:47:13 AM EDT
Hey everyone, for the first time, I bought and used an ammonia based copper fouling remover, Shooters Choice.

I read the directions, and soaked a few patches, and scrubbed.  Got the patches coming out without any blue.

My question is, I wiped the barrel down with CLP.  Is that enough to keep the ammonia from eating away at my gun?

Also, when running the patches through, I know I got some on my mini y-comp muzzle brake.  I ran CLP through that as well.  Should everything be ok?

Thanks for helping out an ammonia newb.
Scott
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooter’s Choice is a fairly mild cleaner.

Still, as a general rule you shouldn’t mix different liquids.

Your safest bet is to dry everything off with clean patchs – then apply the CLP or whatever.  That’s what I do.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:50:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I think regular isopropyl alcohol will neutralize ammonia. I run the alcohol down the tube, let it dry, then put CLP down. If I don't have any alcohol I use brake cleaner to flush out the ammonia.

Shabo
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you let the alcohol evaporate by itself, or do you use dry patches? Is it safe to use the alcohol on non-chromed barrels?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Clean with the ammonia based solvent or whatever as per the directions.When you are finished with the solvent dry patch until the patch remains clean and dry.This will remove most if not all the solvent residue and is all thats probably needed.
Actually its best to settle on one brand of solvent and stick with it not using different brands or types in the same bore.
Do not jump back and forth between ammonia and chlorinated base bore solvents.They have nasty effects on the barrel causing frosting or microscopic pitting due to the creation of acids.
I do like to run a patch of isopropyl or denatured alcohol through the bore after using ammonia based solvents or any solvent.After the patch of alcohol has been run through the bore dry patch several times immediately.
As soon as the bore is perfectly dry lube it.
Alcohol removes every trace of oil from the metal and it will rust pretty fast.Dry patch immediately.
Im not sure I would use brake cleaner to flush ammonia residue from a bore.Some of the break cleaners are chlorinated and will not mix well with ammonia,even in trace amounts.
HTH
Raymond
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top