Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 12:39:02 PM EDT
Just out of curiousity, how well would vasaline, motor oil, cooking oils, greases, or other household stuff work as weapons lubes, rust preventatives, etc?

Anyone ever try any of this stuff?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never used it on guns, but PAM cooking spray will loosen up pliers, wrenches, etc. if they are new and tight or old and sticky.

Come to think of it, it might work the same way on new, tight women or old, sticky women, too.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........[;)]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I use cooking oil to lube knives that I will be eating with; which means anything in the kitchen or that I carry.
It seems to work well; the only problem is that the oil has a very low volatile fraction, so it does not evaporate at all; what goes on stays.  Keep that in mind and it works good.
Now, with firearms there is no reason to avoid petroleums (petrolii) or synthetics, so use the right stuff.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I just noticed that you mentioned some petroleum products as well, so now I have more.
Do a web search for Ed's Red, a home made gun lube/cleaner.  Great stuff.
I use Castrol white bearing grease for most grease applications in guns and such, Ed's Red without the strong solvent makes a good medium weight gun oil.  Vary the Stoddard to adjust the weight.
Tranny fluid (Dexron II or III) is a good product in places that need high temp, pressure, rust proofing, and lubrication.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#4]
anyone know if a gun greese called rig is still beiong made
email meat [email protected]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got plenty of stuff for the firearms.  Just curious about what household stuff could be used to lube and protect them from rust in a pinch.  Seems useful knowlege to have if for whatever reason CLP or equivilent was unavailable, while having a house full of various products that could be potentially used to lube and protect the firearms.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just noticed that you mentioned some petroleum products as well, so now I have more.
Do a web search for Ed's Red, a home made gun lube/cleaner.  Great stuff.
I use Castrol white bearing grease for most grease applications in guns and such, Ed's Red without the strong solvent makes a good medium weight gun oil.  Vary the Stoddard to adjust the weight.
Tranny fluid (Dexron II or III) is a good product in places that need high temp, pressure, rust proofing, and lubrication.
View Quote

Ed's Red, eh?

How does it compare to CLP, etc?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:44:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess any motor oil,ATF or machine oil would work in a pinch as a lube.
I dont think I would even consider using corn oil or crisco etc.;)
I would rather to just keep a good supply of clp or whatever you use on hand.Ive got a few 16oz. bottles of clp on hand for hard times.Not to mention the box of stuff I dont use anymore and the several cans of LSA.
The Ed's red works pretty good and I have used it for a few years in the past for cleaning up C&R's but its not nearly as good as a quality bore cleaner or clp in my opinion.If you mix up a gallon it will last for years,in fact Ive still got about a half gallon left that I mixed up back in 1992.
Raymond
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:59:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I dunno if it is an old wive's tale or what,

but rumor has it that the SAS when they were working in Africa used Gin (each soldier got a daily ration)to clean and lube thier Browning HP, because they learned that the alcohol and water evaporated quite quickly in the hot air, and the aromatic oils from the Juniper berries lubed the HPs perfectly.

pat
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I’d be wary of some cheaper petroleum based household products – I’d think they might have acids in them.

Quoted:
anyone know if a gun greese called rig is still beiong made
email meat [email protected]
View Quote

Yep – it’s used for long-term storage, not lubrication (which I guess you know).  [url]www.brownells.com[/url] sells it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#10]
yoyo

i have seen some people use and swear by slick 50 oil additive for gun lube and say its the stuff for ARs

vinniedablade
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Motor oil is an oft-substituted household lube, but it's not something I ever tried.  In fact I have so much CLP around that I use it as a household lube.

I did make a gallon of Ed's Red, and its main benefit is that it's cheap.  Every other gun solvent does at least as well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I lube my ammo w/Bacon fat when hunting...well, you know !
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top