Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2003 5:50:05 PM EDT
Hello folks.

How do you clean your barrels? For me, I clean my barrel with CLP and bore brush each time after I visit the firing range. I shoot 50 to 80 rounds then clean it with bore brush 3 times with CLP until it comes out a little gray.

Now I've heard about copper fouling - I still haven't used any copper cutter in my barrel after 4000+ rounds. Am I encouraged to use it? What about solvents? Would using copper cutters & solvents damage my barrel?

I'm not a competition shooter.

Your advise is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Break-Free CLP.  I soak a patch and put it through the barrel and let it sit for about 5 min.  I go through with the bore brush 2 or 3 times and then put a few cotton patches through until they come out clean.  The big no-no is over-using the phosphor-bronze bore brushes.  They are supposed to be softer than the steel in the barrel, but put it through there enough and you can wear out the barrel.  I am new to AR's but I've tried to be careful with all my hunting rifles.  But they don't see anywhere near the rounds I put through my AR.  Avoid steel cleaning rods--use the brass or plastic-coated ones, one piece if possible rather than the ones that screw together.  This will also cut down on wear.  

I use the copper solvent.  I don't know what the correct answer is as far as how many rounds need to go through before you use it. ?500 ?1000.  I usually go 400-500 or more.  It will not damage the barrel, but read the directions carefully.  If you let CLP sit in the barrel overnight, that's fine.  But the copper solvent should not stay on more than 10 or 15 minutes.  Then it is cleaned off with dry patches and then CLP again.  Again, read the directions.

Someone jump in here if I'm giving bad advice.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Vast majority of AR guys have muzzle devices (brakes, flash hiders, etc.).  I think this prevents them from seeing the copper fouling in the muzzle.

My first AR was a post ban M4 with a Mini-Y brake.  I THOUGHT copper problems would not be a problem until many thousands of rounds later.

My next AR was a 16" Shorty with a bare muzzle.  This allowed me to view into the muzzle-end of the barrel.  I learned very quickly that the rifle was copper-fouling after each range visit.  After seeing this, I became a beliver in using Sweet's (copper remover) after every range session (50 to 100 rounds).  

Time will tell if any harm is being done by using copper remover every time the gun is cleaned.  So far, the gun still does 1" groups at 100 yrds.  I just can NOT allow the copper to build-up layer, after layer, after layer,,, with each range session... yuke [puke]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top