Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2003 5:04:42 PM EDT
anybody got a good way to clean the handguards on their AR?  I usually take mine off during heavy duty cleaning routines, but when I dont, there always seem to be oil/CLP and whatnot that gets on the handguards.  Any good cleaners that can strip the oil from them without harming the guards themselves?  I'm thinking soaking them in water with dishwashing soap, or simply running through the dishwasher might do the trick.  Anybody care to share how you clean yours up?  

TIA
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use Denatured Alcohol or Oderless Mineral Spirits (similar to VarSol and kerosine).  Both of these are easily purchased (Walmart, Home Depot, etc.).

The most convienient method seems to be hand washing with dish soap.

For me, I use CLP.  The CLP cleans the smoke  off, and leaves the surfaces looking pretty.  In some ways, I think of CLP as Armor-All for firearms.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:45:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I usually remove the metal heatshields from the handguards and just throw the latter into the top rack of my dishwasher. Works great.

DL
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, you guys are high speed! Never had to use anything more than those red shop rags you pick up at the hardware store.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I just use a rag with some hot soapy water.  That works good to get off the dust, dirt and grease.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top