Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/28/2003 6:22:24 PM EDT
Does anyone use Tuf Cloth to wipe down magazines or the receiver? I read an article in
Small Arms Review inwhich the writer says he
uses it to wipe down the bolt carrier of his
AR & never had problems. Figured it would be
handy for the outside, mags, knives, etc.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Frankly, I don’t have too much use for it on an AR.

Seems to me that wiping down a bolt carrier with it is going to get the cloth pretty dirty unless the carrier has already been scrupulously cleaned.

However, upon application, the fluid from the cloth dries out in a minute or so, so it might be good for extreme low temperatures and/or sandy conditions.  Otherwise, I’d rather just use CLP.

It does give a nice, dry, really good-looking finish to the outside of the AR receiver.

Magazines are a different story.  I very much like using this on steel handgun magazines, primarily for rust protection.  

While aluminum USGI magazines don’t need this, it actually might be worthwhile in minimizing wear as magazines are inserted and removed from an AR.   It doesn’t appear that the fluid will remove the powder coating from these magazines.

This cloth appears excellent for knives and other things – like tools – that might rust.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#2]
It gets humid here during the rainy season.  Combine that with acid skin oil and I can make my guns rust.  Sentry Solutions products have put an end to that, even with the SIG P220 I carry IWB often in the summer.  I have nothing but good things to say about it protecting steel parts.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the comments. Sounds like Tuf Cloth will come in handy!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Been using the Tuff cloth and Tuff Glide on the wifes 590 since 92 when I got it,and before she claimed it as hers.
Poor thing has seen the worst Michigan can offer during Deer season,and then put away after only a wipe down to get rid of the heavy water.

I used it on my 1911 in the winter,and for prepping customer rifles that are heading towards Alaska and Canada.

Sentry solutions makes good stuff.
It's a specialty lube/coating,that will put the brakes on rust reliably!

I still use the stuff for some applications,even though I have converted almost completely to another GP Lube.

For fine fishing reels,there is no other....

Good luck!
S-28

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top