Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 7:59:44 AM EDT
Any one heard of this stuff or use it?

This nearly 100 year old lubricant is hugely popular in Europe and is catching on fast here. Non-toxic, no carcinogens and bio-degradable. Will not gum up with time. Ballistol dissolves traces of lead, copper, zinc, brass and tombac. Due to its alkaline character Ballistol is ideal for cleaning and maintaining black powder firearms. Cleans and protects wood, brings out the wood grain and luster and protects it against damage from humidity, dry air and insects. Effectively cleans, rejuvenates and water proofs smooth leathers. Protects against the impact of water, insects and fungi. Maintain boots, saddles, holsters etc. Can also be used as a case lube. This stuff has thousands of uses.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:50:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, its kind of old school.  I hear its pretty kind to wood, seems i've even heard of folks using it for their wood.  Its been a while since i looked into it but there was some reason i didn't buy it (god knows i've tried about everything else).  I believe it has a niche market for blackpowder shooter as well as tooling.  You might want to search some of the C&R type forums, i did a quick search on milsurpshooters.com on likely boards with no hits.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've tried it.  It will work as a solvent.  It's a good general purpose lube, but it isn't moisture displacing.

I've got a buddy who uses it on his stainless steel Mini-30 and some of his antique guns.  He says it is good for getting Wolf ammon fouling out of the Ruger.

I'd stick with CLP for your AR.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Great lube/ cleaner for my blackpowder guns,  I've got a few quarts of it about the house.  I don't use it on my ARs however, there are products which seem to work much better.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Its funny,seems like the Ballistol topic pops up on the gun forums about every six months like its a new product.

The Ballistol oil is some good stuff but it does not lube as well as TW-25B,MC-2500 oil ,Break Free or Firepower FP-10 in my opinion.
I have used it for years on my Mauser's,MN's,Enfield's etc. and black powder guns and have had no complaints.Its a mild alkaline so it can neutralize acids from corrosive chlorate priming and powders like cordite and black powder.Thats whats so attractive to us black powder and C&R folks.

I used it on my Armalites for a short time and it worked fine,but I dont think it performs as well as the above mentioned newer lubes.
The Ballistol seemed to go away too fast in my AR's during use for my liking.
It does clean the nasty wolf ammo,black powder and chlorate primed surplus ammo better than most of the solvents I have used.It gets two thumbs up for that.
Otherwise no complaints,its good stuff.
Raymond
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:53:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used it for a few years.  I does rock on blackpowder.  I use it as a patch lube and cleaner and protector.  It shines up the wood on the ol' flinter well.  
I use it to clean the barrels of some of my rifles as well, does a good enough job.  
According to the label you can also use it to protect plant leaves.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#6]
it's good for sore throats too!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I use it mainly for waterproofing leather boots.  Stuff is great for that!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top