Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 3:30:54 PM EDT
I have a 20 inch DPMS Panther Classic, i took the gun apart and cleaned it and put it back together. I thought i had put it back together right, but then i heard the firing pin bouncing around inside. I opened it up and took the pin out(it wasn't in the carrier). I then decided to close my gun and let a gunsmith deal with it. when I closed my gun, it somehow closed but the back of the carrier had found its way into the front of the buffer tube. It's very jammed and i dont know what could be holding it in place.Has anyone heard of this happeneing in a gun before?Thanks for the help.
            Jake
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I then decided to close my gun and let a gunsmith deal with it.

I think you have the correct answer in this case.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
pop the takedown and pivot pins loose and just pull the upper off to the front.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Take the top screw out of the butt plate.  The stock should slide off to the back.  Be sure to watch for the rear take down pin detent and spring on the right side where the stock meets the lower.  Take a small stiff rod like an ice pick with the point filed flat and stick in the hole the stock screw came out of and try to push the buffer and bolt carrier forward.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Man this post gives me a head ache, I will have to think about this. Try as posted above. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, thanks halfcocked. I gave it to a gunsmith and he set it up on an AR vise(one that goes into the magazine hole) He says hes going to try to take off the whole buffer tube. He warned that it could damage the frame. (which wouldnt be what im looking to do). This is a totally new gun and im a little scared to let him just start yanking away. What do you guys think my best plan of action is. I dont have have much technical knowledge of these internals and how they work, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would this be covered by warranty possibly?
              Thanks ALOT
                 jake
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, thanks halfcocked. I gave it to a gunsmith and he set it up on an AR vise(one that goes into the magazine hole) He says hes going to try to take off the whole buffer tube. He warned that it could damage the frame. (which wouldnt be what im looking to do). This is a totally new gun and im a little scared to let him just start yanking away. What do you guys think my best plan of action is. I dont have have much technical knowledge of these internals and how they work, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would this be covered by warranty possibly?
              Thanks ALOT
                 jake
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
You should be able to take the buffer tube off yourself, by just unscrewing it from the lower.  Hopefully you didn't lose the takedown detent and spring by removing the stock, and hopefully you won't lose the buffer retaining spring and detent when you remove the buffer tube.  Be advised the buffer and spring may pop out too.

Take the bolt carrier out, make sure you reassemble it correctly (bolt in front with extractor pointed to upper right side, cam pin in through left with a quarter turn, firing pin in from rear, and put the firing pin retaining pin in the carrier from the  left side (only hole it will fit in) and make sure it seats correctly).

Place the buffer detent spring and detent back into its hole in the lower, then screw the buffer tube back on while holding down the detent.  The detent will sit partially under the tube edge.  Reattach your buttsock to the buffer tube and screw on tight, all the while remembering to replace the takedown detent and spring in place before seating the stock.  Now with everything in place, insert the buffer spring and then buffer into the tube, and seat behind the detent.  Place the carrier inside the upper (with charging handle), reattach the upper and lower, and perform a function check.

Once you do that, and it works again, you'll see that you won't necessarily need a gunsmith for this kind of job.  Take a screwdriver with you to the range the first time you go shoot, and tighten your top stock screw after firing a magazine, to ensure it is tight.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Presumably you tried [b]circuits[/b] suggestion, above, with no luck.

Assuming you’re absolutely sure the AR is unloaded, I’d suggest you pack it up and ship it back to the factory.

It’s been quite a while since I pulled a buffer tube, but I can’t quite see why the gunsmith thinks this might damage the receiver.  If I felt this was true – and I don’t – I’d hacksaw the buffer tube in half first!!

I suspect your cam pin, which is normally held in place by the firing pin, has twisted and/or has come out of it’s hole a bit and is binding in the upper receiver somewhere.  

With a little luck, once the buffer spring pressure is removed, you probably can jiggle things around and get the carrier moved forward enough to separate the receivers.  However, I’ve never performed this specific repair, so I’m just guessing.

I very much doubt this is covered under warranty.

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Simple fix, hit your forward assist.

Your firing pin probably fell out because your firing pin retaining pin wasen't in right.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#10]
If im wrong, feel free to smack me.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top