Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 12:41:07 AM EDT
Hi,
Just picked up a new DPMS, there were no instructions on how to do the initial strip down, i.e. how to seperate the upper and lower to remove the bolt. I can see a pin passing through the rear of the recievers but dont know how to remove it. Is there a special or set procedure?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
push both the front and rear takedown pins in.  You will be able to separate the upper from the lower.  Once apart, pull the charging handle back, and the bolt and carrier will pop right out.  

Welcome to the madness....
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:05:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I tried pushing the rear pin in but it won't shift, should I be using seom sort of drift and mallet?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:34:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks, I tried pushing the rear pin in but it won't shift, should I be using seom sort of drift and mallet?
View Quote

Ya just have to be aware that w/ new ARs there is a "break-in" period in which most ARs are tight due to the parkerizing process. The pin is tight and that's a good thing, nobody wants a new weapon that's loose as a goose. Both front and rear take-down pins will be tight for some time. Just use whatevers available to press on pin, (a 223 round works, use the rim to push on pin, preferably while rifle is laying flat on the bed, table or couch). Remove the rear takedown pin first, (actually pin is captured by a spring from the stock and will NOT come completely out, but out enough to pivot upper away from lower. Once this is done, ya need to remove the front pin, it too will probably be tight. Pivoting the lower and upper w/ constant pressure on the front pin may help, but push it out using the same rim of cartridge used for rear and upper is seperated from lower. Brass marks from cartridge will wipe away w/ a little CLP.

Mike

PS - welcome to the site.....[:)]  
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:39:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats great, many thanks! Another question if you dont mind, over here in the U.K. it's pretty hard to get any 30 round mags other then Radway Green mags for the SA80, M16, SAW. I've heard a lot of bad press about these mags. Anyone out there got any experiences they want to share? I might try a mag but they arn't cheap, its a pity the factory doesn't have a retail outlet as I work only 4 miles away.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:48:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps the Mag Faq tacked to the top of the "Magazine Forum" will help ya out: [url]http://magfaq.tripod.com/[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:05:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought you couldn't own anything bigger than a squirt gun in UK.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#7]
hey its not that bad, you can own a tank but its gotta be manually operated bolt or breech block only, so semi-auto or full auto (you can own semi auto shot guns), all pistols are banned unless they run on blackpowder - cap and ball, we can own silencers and any size mag, but its a real pain in the ass having to cock yer AR15 after every shot... and hard work! I also own a .50BMG Boyes anti-tank and few other oldies. The UK laws are a nightmare, and the police interpret the laws as they see fit... sometimes they can test the patience of a saint. Your gun laws are worth fighting for, believe me. The last semi-auto AR15 I shot was in 1986 just before they were banned....
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top