Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 5:26:00 PM EDT
I just had a discussion with a match shooter that says I should never take my lower of my rifle to clean it. he says there is a special u shaped gizmo to hold it open just right to clean. He said taking it apart will cause every thing to get loose and it will loose accuracy.

I like the guy but also think he is a techno- perfectionist nut. He even says he has his AR upper bedded with some kind of stuff so it mates perfect with his lower.

I figure Bushmaster says to remover the upper for cleaning in their book that is what I should do.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
i always seperate mine when i clean
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
... I like the guy but also think he is a techno- perfectionist nut. ....
View Quote

Match shooters are!!

If you’ve got a match rifle and are into serious match shooting, there might be some merit in what he says.  (I’m not sure though - the barrel and sights are all on the upper, so the value of a super tight joint with the lower could be argued.)

Anyway, if you’ve just got a regular AR that you use for normal recreation blasting, either cleaning method should be fine.

I normally separate the upper and lower for cleaning.  I do occasionally clean and lightly oil the pins and the mating lugs to minimize wear during reassembly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#3]
...  Over time, there's a greater risk of straining the cantilevered pivot to the point of failure. Remove it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to never remove it But now I am thinking I might start.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:02:31 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not going to hurt it to seperate them.  Thats what I do.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:44:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I always remove mine.  Makes it a lot easier to clean and will not change or effect accuracy when reassembled.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:47:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I had to reply just so our
snipers could make a nice firing line...

I follow the instructions provided by
Bushmaster...

Ready on the firing line [sniper2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]
For the most part I never remove the lower, just tip it up. I insert a Ray-Vin boreguide drop a rag over my lower and stock area, lower upper w/ bore guide installed till it contacts rag and stock and clean right there on the shooting bench w/ front of rifle on the Wichita shooting rest and rear of stock on bunny eared rear rest. Also I always drop a cloth over the scope or red-dot sight, depending on which I'm cleaning at the time, (M4s or LR AR).

Mike
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I always remove the lower when I clean.  Most of the weight is in the upper (because of the barrel).  When you crack it open and leave the front pin in place, it allows lateral movement between the upper and lower around the front pin (perpendicular to the usual movement of the pin joint).  There is a lot of leverage involved when the upper twists relative to the lower.  I think that the wear and tear on the pin holes caused by sliding them in and out to disassemble the rifle will be much less than the potential damage that could be caused if the upper and lower twist relative to each other.  The pin holes are in aluminum and the pins are steel, it won't take much to "spring" the holes and enlarge them if the front pin joint gets in a bind.  The pins are designed to slide back and forth, take'm out I say.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Listen to ks_shooter.

I shoot match and even if you have nice tight upper/lower fit you can goof up the front pin holes, especialy with a heavey barrel.  The rock solid upper lower fit is way over emphasized.  It stems from glass bedding wood stocked rifles.

If you're realy serious about tightness drill though the lower under the pistol grip, up, into the uppers rear pin lug and tap it.  Sinch them together with a screw.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys I will continue to take it apart.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top