Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 9:01:10 AM EDT
I noticed in a previous post that some folks have trouble inserting this pin, particularly when the pin arms are spread.  I have this trouble also.  A friend mentioned that Stoner makes a replacement...a machined part that is not actually a cotter pin.

Anyone know about this Stoner part?  Anyone know of other alternatives to these pesky cotter pins?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen a new pin such as the one you described.

In the "Black Rifle" book they show a solid pin on a early model AR.

The legs spread on my pins.  The whole pin bends.

The pins are cheap to replace.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep about 10 extra's on hand. When ever I am cleaning my AR's and they look like they need replacing, well I do it.

If you have trouble inserting them in, get your fingers real wet with gun lube and roll that pin around in them- make that pin real slick!
Next try to rotate your pin when you are inserting it, this helps it catch the hole it needs to get in. That's my trick and it works really well for me in those tough pins.

But make sure you get a bunch of extra pins.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I have something like what your talking about for my target gun.  I got mine from DPMS.  I don't really think too much one way or the other about it except it seems a little harder to get out than GI and costs more.  I won't be buying anymore.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
FLASHCO Inc.
236 S. 3rd #206
Montrose,  CO.   81401

(970) 252-1851
Perma Pin

The revolutionary "PERMA-PIN" originally designed and called for by weapon designer Eugene Stoner, will never break or fail you, GUARANTEED for life!  It installs in seconds and allows for smoother, more reliable functioning of your weapon.

$7.95 Postage Paid or 3 for $20.00.

(From May 1, 2003 Shot Gun News, pg. 20)

Get some and give us a report.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:34:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Halfcocked:
Thanks!  This may just be the part.  I will look into it, and get back to the list.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]

[b]M-16 Retaining Pin[/b]
[img]http://www.del-ton.com/lowerparts_img/m16_retaining_Pin.jpg[/img]
Not a cotter key, chrome plated, self tightening

Part# 1463               $5.99

It's listed under 'lower parts' page 2 at [url]www.del-ton.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Why did they stop using the good long lasting pins anyhow?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:27:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why did they stop using the good long lasting pins anyhow?
View Quote

The root of all evil ($).
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I just orderd the Del-Ton retaining pin, I'll let you know how it works out...
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I noticed in a previous post that some folks have trouble inserting this pin, particularly when the pin arms are spread.  I have this trouble also.  A friend mentioned that Stoner makes a replacement...a machined part that is not actually a cotter pin.

Anyone know about this Stoner part?  Anyone know of other alternatives to these pesky cotter pins?
View Quote

The sharp edges on the end of the pin is what makes it hard to insert. Just bevel the ends slightly with a file and don't try to pinch the arms together. In the rifle it won't go anywhere. Outside during disassembly is another matter. Keep some spares.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top