Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 5:23:33 PM EDT
There's GOT to be an easier way to reinstall the cotter pin that holds the firing pin in place.

The cotter pins on both of my uppers were spread slightly apart the first time I removed them. They are a b*tch to get back in place.

My best method so far is to slide the cotter pin past the firing pin, with one of the two "blades" lined up with the hole in the other side of the bolt. Then I reach in alongside the firing pin with a small screwdriver and compress the "wayward" blade until it is lined up with the hole - then I try to push the cotter pin in while the second blade is lined up (I can type this real fast, but it takes a LOT longer to actually do it).

My next option to try is to buy a sack full of cotter pins (with blades that haven't been spread open) and just use a new one every time I find the blades have opened up on the old one.

PLEASE tell me there is an easier way.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
what???

I've never seen a spread cotter pin in a bolt before.

Buy the sack and simply replace it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes its a pain... but I just rotate it 45 degrees, and re-insert.  Never seena time when this didnt go right in on the second or third stab.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you're running into the problem I am with my preban, but I found a way to get around it without breaking out the screwdriver (did that a few times). When you feel it snag on the other side of the carrier, rotate the pin where it's intersecting the carrier, not running parallel with it. Then look into the carrier and see if the bottom leg of the Pin is hanging up or the top leg. If it is the top leg like in my case just push up on the pin, bringing the leg down into the whole. If it's the bottom just push down bringing it up to the hole. Works like a charm on my AR.

Hope that helps, tell me if you need it explained better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
One trick I use for firing pin retaining pins that are spread open like you mention is to insert the pin until it won't go any further and then twist the pin like a screwdriver. It will pop right into place as the leg that is out of the hole catches it and slides in.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top