Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2003 2:13:23 PM EDT
Are those Bore Snakes any good with the AR15s like the Colt's and Bushmaster's ?
Thanks..
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Boresnakes are good for most guns.  They're fast and provide a decent cleaning.  The Marines even issue them, if I'm not mistaken (though I probably am).  Anyway, a boresnake won't provide as thorough a cleaning as will a rode, brushes, loops, jags, etc. but it will do the job well enough and do it faster.  So in answer to your question, yes, boresnakes are good for AR15s.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I use them at the range in many different calibers when shooting a gun with different ammo for group.

Fire a group, a couple of runs with the bore snakes, a foulding shot, shoot for group and repeat. Fast, easy and in my AR's, you can see the fouling coming out in the sun like dust. You know it's cleaning for sure.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Boresnakes rock, I've been having real good luck lately with using slightly oversized boresnakes in my pistols (a .40 in a 9mm for example).

They clean more effectively and are still just as easy to use. I plan on trying a .243 boresnake in my 5.56mm AR and see how that works. Just for the record, you can't fit a .30 boresnake into a .223 bore no matter how hard you tug.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you guys leave the bronze mesh on the snake?  

I just bought a chrome-lined Bushmaster shorty and read on Bushy's site to clean it with 6-12 patches.  It didn't say anyting about a bronze brush so I figured I needed to take the bronze mesh off of the snake too.  

Is it alright to use the bronze mesh on the snake for a chromed barrel?  what about a bronze brush?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Bronze is soft as butter compared to armament grade steels. It won't hurt a non-Chromed bore and will definitely not hurt a Chromed one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:59:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Boresnakes are good for a [b]quick[/b] cleaning to rid the barrel of dust and minor field cleaning.  But I ALWAYS still give my shooting Irons; Pistols, M16, Mac, and Normal Rifles a Good run through with Patch & Brush & Solvent when I get back home.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I personally don't care for them. Rather do it the old fashioned way.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#9]
ok for quick cleaning.. not for through.. i have one for my m1a... used it with some solvent on it... tought it was clean.. used a patch with a dewey rod.. black and blue.. no sign of white.. ever since then.. rod and patch for me
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top