Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2002 3:39:13 PM EDT
Going the clean my AR-15 for the first time tomorrow and a little nervous about not being able to put it all back together properly.  I will follow the user manual obviously but does anyone have any good advice for me?  Is it as hard as it looks?  I have an Otis cleaning kit, a standard .223 cleaning kit and some FP-10.  Thanks! [:\]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not at all difficult.  Just make sure the extractor is in the 11:00 position (looking from the bolt face) when you replace the bolt and you'll be fine.

It's actually much easier than it looks.  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you do, don't remove the carrier key!!! It's unnecessary. If you loosen the screws you'll need to order new ones, re-torque and stake them. Your AR will be shelved until the screws arrive.

V
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The manual is harder to understand before you've gone through the steps.  Once you've done it, it all seems so simple you'll wonder why you worried.

Besides, if you get stuck, just stop what you're doing and post a request for help.  You'll get the right answer in no time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#4]
It's easier than you think. Just take your time.

Congrats on your new purchase!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Just to put it in perspective as to how simple it is...

In the Army, we had to break down the rifle in 2 minutes after completing a 12 mile road march.

It's very easy, but if you have any problems, post a message and we'll be glad to help.

Bradd
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys.  I just concentrated on the barrel and overall cleanliness of the gun today.  I didn't get in to the breaking down of the bolt carrier as I've only gone through about 200 rounds so far.  Everything seems to be working fine after the re-assembly.  I used 3" in diameter circle patches from Otis and it was a "biotch" to get it through the barrel, then I read where I needed to be using about a 1 and 1/8" size patch for the AR. (Bushmaster Shorty) I don't think I damaged anything using the 3" patches as I was using an Otis cable and the brass needle end, but I definitely had to use the "T" handle adapter. As always, any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the video for the AR-15. Doesn't this look like a 3" patch to you? Why was it so hard for me?
[url]http://www.otisgun.com/cinstructions.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
blueshockey,

I use the Otis System also. Make sure you are pinching the patch upward, not downward, before pulling it through the slot. Otherwise it's a real beyotch to pull through the bore![:)]
When you run out of Otis patches, you can use regular 2.5" square ones.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Check out the video for the AR-15. Doesn't this look like a 3" patch to you? Why was it so hard for me?
[url]http://www.otisgun.com/cinstructions.htm[/url]
View Quote

Whatever you do don't do it like in the video!

1) In the video the weapon is 'loaded'- there is still a magazine inserted! This is an extremely dangerous practice!
2)The weapon should be broken down by pushing out the two takedown pins so you can separate the upper, lower, carrier, bolt, etc. The only thing you can clean their way is the barrel.

I realize all they are doing in the video is advertising the Otis system but that's really a dangerous practice.

I"d recommend you follow the instruction in the Tech Manual. The links are on this board.

Be safe.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top