Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/12/2002 11:48:59 PM EDT
Do most of you just use CLP (e.g., FP-10) on the outside of the rifle to remove dirt or fingerprints?  Would I be better suited using a black silicon cloth when out in the field (camping) to keep it clean?  

I just got my AR and haven't had a chance to do much but look at it, so I'm a newbie

TIA,
Chris
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My bushmaster manual suggested using non-detergent motor-oil.

I bought a quart, and use a slightly oily black rag to wipe down the outside of my shorty.

After over 5000 rounds she looks brand new, and shoots like a dream. I also use the oily rag on the stock, and it too looks brand new.

I do use CLP on the sights and a GI brush.

Regards,
Francis
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a teflon gun spray(winchester i think), it was about $4 a can i think, its not as oily as motor oil, or gun oil, its made specificly for firearms. The pump shotgun crowd uses it on actions. Thats actually the reason i first bought it, but now i use it on the exterior of all my guns, protects, and dosent leave a greasy feel. Just spray on/wipe most of it off and bamo, clean, handprint-free gun.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, that gives me some suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:52:37 AM EDT
[#4]
CLP on a rag and then buff it into the finish.
Buff it again with a clean rag and presto, it looks great!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:59:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I use CLP followed by a silicone cloth to get rid of finger prints and it give it a nice matte semi gloss finish.  CLP and a rag leaves bits of fiber and collects dust/finger prints.  The silicone works best on a clean rifle and the CLP does the cleaning since silicone alone wont.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#6]
After crawling all day in the mud with my M16, I use to take a shower with it, then oil her down. LOL
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw a website that suggested using rubbing alcohol to clean off the exterior metal parts, and then shining it up w/ WD40.  It claimed that RRA used that technique to refurbish older beat up parts.  Not sure if I'll try it w/ mine, as I hate the smell of WD40, but it sounds like it would shimmer a little bit closer to new.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#8]
 I do exactly what ThomasJefferson does if my guns get super filthy...I hose it down with HOT water, Dawn dishsoap and nice soft brush then a HOT rinse.  Canned air from WalMart or office max is great for blasting out the excess water then use WD_40 to chase out the rest....let soak in the WD for a while, blast again, oil properly and store.

BUT:
 For normal cleaning in AZ just do the bore clean all surfaces with MP-7, or Break Free...., wipe with break free (VERY LIGHTLY as to not attract too much dust and such) and you're done.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top