Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/4/2002 11:54:29 PM EDT
Anyone got an opinion on this Lubricant?
Ive been using it for a couple months now and was wondering if anyone has had a problem with it,rust etc..
So far I have been pleased.
Raymond
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:49:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I use it on all of my firearms and knives. I am very pleased as well. It smells great! I've heard it is a poor protectant, but I have never had an issue with it.
With the AR, Miltec makes it feel like the action of a Beretta 92 -- very smooth. I also use a silicon cloth on the external surfaces to shine it up.
JMO,
-Steve
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information stevenb.
I have had excellent results so far and your right it really makes the AR run smooth.Its slick stuff.
Raymond
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still using BreakFree CLP.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah I like it alot as well.  It is an amazing lubricant, the best I've ever seen.  I use it on the action and use CLP everywhere else.  Someone here was actually using a 50%/50% (CLP/Militec1) mix that he said worked great and did not gum up.  The give a free sample of Militec 1 for the asking on their web site.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=139984&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yeah I like it alot as well.  It is an amazing lubricant, the best I've ever seen.  I use it on the action and use CLP everywhere else.  Someone here was actually using a 50%/50% (CLP/Militec1) mix that he said worked great and did not gum up.  The give a free sample of Militec 1 for the asking on their web site.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=139984&w=searchPop
View Quote

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=139984&w=searchPop[/url]

just thought I wud make it a clickable url. And yes I have been on that site;[url]http://www.militec1.com/[/url]; but didn't apply for the free sample. I'm happy with clp, so don't see any need to switch.  Some don't like the smell but I love the smell.  Use it on all my rifles and pistols.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#6]
How do you get a free sample from their webpage?
I'd like to hook some people up.
Thanks,
-STeve
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to [url]http://www.militec-1.com[/url].  At the top of the page (immediately below the "Firearms" picture, you will see a link.  Click the link and it will open your email client to send an email for the free sample.  Give the appropriate info and you're all set.  

FYI - The sample you receive is 1/4oz, but it should give you an idea as to how well it works.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I sent off for my free sample months ago - never got it.
I did get a free 1 ounce bottle of it from one of the guys who runs the range I go to.
Great stuff! I've been using it on my pistol slide and on my AR bolt carriers - sweet!

Try FP-10 CLP too! That stuff made me switch from BreakFree CLP. Better stuff.

They send free samples too - and I got that one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I had everybody in my office email them for a free sample.  Now I've got about 15 little bottles.  I've used it only handguns, but not on my rifle, yet.  It seems OK, but I don't think I have the expertise or patience to evaluate it.  I just like having a dozen little bottles of oil handy ;)
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#10]
SJSAMPLE,
 man, your sig line made me blow soda all over my monitor! Thats some funny stuff.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
s0ulzer0

Where did you get a free sample of FP-10 CLP?
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#12]
A quick search of the FP-10 web site confirms what I thought:  the free sample offer ended a few months ago.

I used the free sample of FP-10 the last time I cleaned my 11-87, but haven't had it back out to the range since then.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
s0ulzer0

Where did you get a free sample of FP-10 CLP?
View Quote

Red-Leg is right - the FP-10 free samples are over. Sorry.
Try it anyway - you'll like it and it smells like cinnamon.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Any suggestions for what to use for long term storage, say hunting season to hunting season? (1 year) Grease? I have been thinking about trying some of the Colt grease CTD is selling. Anyone have experience with this stuff?
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Guys, you can get a free sample of FP-10 at the below site

http://www.fp10.com/

Now don't everybody stampede the site[:D]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Militec-1 is what Benchmade recomends using on knives.. I use it on my guns also without any complaints. I also use Senrty Solutions. They have a good X-mas special right now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey Guys, you can get a free sample of FP-10 at the below site

[url]http://www.fp10.com/[/url]

Now don't everybody stampede the site[:D]
View Quote

Yep, it appears that it has returned.  The "silver bullet" on the left.  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like FP-10 had some issues with Militec-1's comments about a CLP.
It was some good reading and seems to favor both products.
I used Militec-1 on my weapons for my Colorado hunting trip this last October and it performed excellently.
Two weeks of neglect and all kinds of conditions including huge amounts of dust as well as water and the weapons looked and functioned great.Clean up was a breeze and no rust anywhere.
Beretta U.S.A. sure recommended Militec-1 highly when I asked what to use on my 92FS.
Raymond
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 2:03:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been using Militec-1 on every thing for over a year. Works great!  I put it on everything except pancakes, makes the pancakes TOO slippery.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got a link?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Got a link?

Thanks!
View Quote

[url]http://www.fp10.com/[/url]

Scroll down about half-way.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I contacted Militec-1 about mixing militec-1 with BreakFree clp.
Brad Giordani of Militec-1 responded and said that the training Battalion at Quantico began mixing Militec-1 with CLP in 1989 and have had great results.
They mix at 25% Militec-1 and 75% BreakFree CLP.
Interesting,I may have to try that.
Raymond
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#23]
FP-10 is great stuff, you will not regret it.  Smells like cinnamin.  George is great guy to deal with.  Try it you will like it.  What do you have to lose.  

Javier  
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I contacted Militec-1 about mixing militec-1 with BreakFree clp.
Brad Giordani of Militec-1 responded and said that the training Battalion at Quantico began mixing Militec-1 with CLP in 1989 and have had great results.
They mix at 25% Militec-1 and 75% BreakFree CLP.
Interesting,I may have to try that.
Raymond
View Quote

I been using it mixed for about a year. Works great..(throw a couple pieces of lead shot into the bottle to aid in mixing). I've even started using it in place of oil & grease on my handguns. Makes it much easier to clean, and doesn't collect dirt like grease.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Any suggestions for what to use for long term storage, say hunting season to hunting season? (1 year) Grease? I have been thinking about trying some of the Colt grease CTD is selling. Anyone have experience with this stuff?
View Quote

I think Breakfree advertises their "Collector" product to give 5 years protection, but I don't know if anyone has really put it to the test. If so, it would be a great alternative to Cosmoline and maybe even RIG, which are both used for long-term storage.

Cosmoline has a good reputation, and is not a pain to deal with as long as you heat it first. You can apply it with a paint brush and with a patch for the inside of the bore. Just make sure it's warm when you apply it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#26]
On the subject of "Mixing Breakfree and Militec-1" as compared to using just [b][i]Firepower FP-10 CLP[/i][/b] :
If you just do the math on the economics, you'll be surprised. In accordance with what was posted, the ratio is "75% Breakfree + 25% Militec-1".
The costs:

Break-Free CLP - 1 oz. $2.10, 4 0z.$5.10, 16 oz. $17.05

Militec-1 - 1 oz. $7.90, 4 oz.$18.90, 16 oz. $39.90

Firepower FP-10 CLP - 1 oz. $2.78, 4 oz. $5.37, 16 oz.(with pump spray) $14.56

So, to make your mix, [b]you must spend a minimum of $13.00[/b] ($7.90 for the 1 ounce of Militec-1, and $5.10 for the 4 ounce of break-Free) [b]just to make a [i]4 ounce[/i] supply[/b]. Kinda steep, when you can spend $13.82 and get 16 ounces of FP-10 (without the sprayer, $14.56 with it) and get even MORE...but then, I'd rather let YOU be the judge, at no cost.... [url]http://www.fp10.com[/url]
Just click on the request sample button on the left side bandolier which will start your email client, and put free sample in the subject line followed by your Name and Mailing address in the email body/text. Easy as that. You'll have it within 2 weeks, unless the mail or UPS loses it (which has happened), in which case let me know if you haven't received it within 3 weeks and we'll get you out another.

[b]SJSAMPLE[/b] - sorry, but your cut off[8D]....LOL..[:D]..just kidding. Tony Holmes and i get accused of "Gaming" the stages at the IPSC matches, all the time, so I can appreciate that...but guys, remember, I can't give out samples to try unless we sell a bunch, so please, if you like it (and you will) then buy some. I can eat, shoot, and sponsor more matches that way. [;)]
Time to hit the rack...
Best regards,
George
[USA]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#27]
George,

What is your position on mixing Militec with FP-10 (a gret product -- I just received the xmas sale package[:)]).

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I had to send for a sample, it was named after me:Firepower FP10.I like the product.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#29]
How could people be happy with CLP?

As an oil/rust protectant it is Great but CLP is no bore cleaner/solvent.

I hate the smell too.

Give me some good old Hoppes #9 (for cleaning I love it)
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
George,

What is your position on mixing Militec with FP-10 (a gret product -- I just received the xmas sale package[:)]).

View Quote

Hey [b]Robertesq1[/b]
My position is ... "that would be redundant".
Why?
The main component in Militec-1 is a closly related variant to the Extreme Pressure/Anti-Wear component in FP-10, both halogenated hydrocarbons with acid scavenging epoxidized esters (for what it's worth).
It's also a chemistry balancing act, whereas, if you put too much of one thing in, you'll upset the balance of the others, imparing the ability to clean and protect, for example.
Not that a small addition would make a huge difference in the balance, but you try it in any ratio, you won't be able to notice any difference in the FP-10, with or without Militec-1. When you've hit "light speed", that's as fast as it gets...ergo, the FP-10 is clocking at "C" in lubricating ability and performance. Adding the Militec-1 is really of no other consequence than added expense.
Give it a go and see for yourself.

by [b]Green0[/b]
How could people be happy with CLP?
As an oil/rust protectant it is Great but CLP is no bore cleaner/solvent.
I hate the smell too.
Give me some good old Hoppes #9 (for cleaning I love it)
View Quote

[b]Green0[/b] - You should really give this a try...you may not be able to resist the temptation of putting it on your "flapjacks" if you like cinnamon. Plus...it'll kick butt over that "Broke-stuff CLP" that you're used to, and hate the smell of.

There's the water....now it's up to you to drink it or not. [:D]

Best regards,
George
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
On the subject of "Mixing Breakfree and Militec-1" as compared to using just [b][i]Firepower FP-10 CLP[/i][/b] :
If you just do the math on the economics, you'll be surprised. In accordance with what was posted, the ratio is "75% Breakfree + 25% Militec-1".
The costs:

Break-Free CLP - 1 oz. $2.10, 4 0z.$5.10, 16 oz. $17.05

Militec-1 - 1 oz. $7.90, 4 oz.$18.90, 16 oz. $39.90

Firepower FP-10 CLP - 1 oz. $2.78, 4 oz. $5.37, 16 oz.(with pump spray) $14.56

View Quote

Wow, I bought a case of Militec-1 @ $15.00 per 16 oz bottle which included shipping. I just shared it with a few friends.. :)
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 12:24:34 AM EDT
[#32]
[b]Bullet[/b],
Those prices above are published "retail" prices, by the bottle, for comparison.

Your case purchase brings to mind a line by Chris Farley from "Tommy Boy"...but I'll just keep that one to myself [;)]

Best,
George
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Awhile back someone did an informal test of different kinds of lubricants.  If I remember correctly, Miltec didn't do too well on the rust prevention part.  Don't think FP10 was tested.

FP10 is a great product.  Works better than CLP and smells MUCH better.  I still don't use it for cleaning but I think that prolonged use of it will probably make cleaning easier.  

Also, try the Wilson Lube.  Works fantastic on handguns.  I don't use it on ARs but if you put it on a pistol, three months later it's still there!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Militec-1 will offer rust protection but it has to be applied following the new lengthy application instructions using heat etc..
The more you use it the better the protection and lubrication from what Ive found over the past few months.Ive been using Militec-1 since last September and have had no problems at all with rust and I have to say its a great lube.
I tried the Militec-1 and Breakfree mix and that works great too,but like George from MPC said its expensive.
I have recently tried the FP-10 and it works better for my needs,so that is my new clp gun oil,my search is over.The FP-10 does everything the other two will,and better.
Its much easier to apply than the Militec-1 and its much cheaper.Thats a plus for me as a collector and shooter of 40+ rifles.
The fp-10 also does not dry out in less than  week like the Breakfree clp leaving the weapons dry and cleans much better than Breakfree clp.
I just wish I had tried the FP-10 months ago.
Raymond
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top