Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2002 10:31:16 AM EDT
I am wondering if it is ok to store an AR-15 broken down?  lower and upper taken apart.

I would like to get a smaller case to store and transport my new (ordered and hopefully on the way) AR-15.
My trunk pass through is too small (and is also blocked my car stereo stuff) and I don't have an exceptionally large trunk anyway (WRX Sedan)

Thanks
Jake

edit:   If possible of course I will keep the AR in my dad's gun safe for long term storage.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No problem.  Just be sure you are using a gun case of some sort, to keep the dust off the gun (dust can attract moisture which would = rust).
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
One thing to keep in mind, if you will be storing the AR for a long time fully assembled.  Make sure that all of the spring tensions are released.  In the military we call it making the weapon "rack safe".  I am not sure if there is a civilian equivalent for the term.  Does anyone know?  Anywho- the process goes like this:

1:  MAKE SURE RIFLE IS CLEARED OUT.

2:  Rotate selector lever to fire.

3:  Dry fire the rifle.

4:  Close the dust cover. [(:)]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice guys.

Anyone have any ideas on where to get an aluminum "photographer's case" (for lack of a better term),  basically a metal suitcase style case?
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
You might try a surplus night vision case.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Look in the accessory section for references to Pelican cases. These cases are air tight and lockable. You could throw some of those anti-moisture bags inside and have no worries whatsoever.
They offer many different sizes, and keep the contents secure with foam padding that forms around the object.
IMO, Pelican is top of the line for transporting a firearm. The only thing better is a 1200 lbs safe bolted to the foundation in your home hidden away with a sillent alarm and a big dog who likes intestine. [;)]
-Steve
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
If you think Pelican is nice you ought to check out a small company named "Starlight."  They provide cases to Uncle Sams Special Teams.  These are tougher than the Pelicans and you could surf on them they're so water tight.  Cost the same maybe less than the Pelicans and they show pictures of a Hummer with Starlight cases under each wheel.  I'm not sure you can do that with the Pelicans.
Racine
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks racine those cases look great!

[URL]http://www.starlightcases.com/[/URL]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Store?

Locked and loaded, spare mags in the pouch sitting right next to it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Cleaned with light coat of oil (outside and inside). Springs relaxed (bolt forward, hammer down, dust cover open). Stored in a cool, dry, even temperatured area (just like ammo). This avoids condensation which means rust. Wrap in plastic sheet with dessicant in it or air tight guncase/safe with dessicant.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top