BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2002 4:00:02 PM EDT
what is the best way to clean out the gas tube
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You actually don't have to, and I believe the reason for that is that it doesn't have a piston.
However, if you are REALLY motivated to, I will look around and see if I can find where I saw some long pipe cleaners.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't need to clean it.  Just replace it if it melts....

toast
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 2:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
As said before, its probably not necessary to clean it.  However, I always flush mine out with some Gumout Choke and Carb cleaner which I have been using as a cleaner on all my guns for years and years.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto gecko, but I use the "SuperTech 2000" carb-cleaner from Wal-Mart as is has none of the toxic stuff contained in most carb-cleaners. Use the little red tube which comes w/ can, stick in gas-tube from B/C end and flush out through barrel, I also use it to flush out the Sweets 7.62 used for bore cleaner (followed by CLP for lube, barrel only, NOT GT). Keeps your gas-tube sweaky clean.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 3:37:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Will squirting carb cleaner or Gun Scrubber down the gas tube hurt the barrel at all?  Or just clean the barrel right after doing it?
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Will squirting carb cleaner or Gun Scrubber down the gas tube hurt the barrel at all?  Or just clean the barrel right after doing it?

As my previous post states, No will not hurt your barrel. We use it to flush the Sweets bore cleaner out and to keep the gas-tube clean. If we're going right back to shooting (after a little evaporation time) we don't CLP, just reload and shoot some more, if we're done for the day, then we CLP lube the barrel for storage.

Mike

PS - (added) note, old fellar that taught us this cleanin technique specifically stated to use that one product listed above because of the stuff it doesn't have in it. So my comments are limited to the SuperTech 2000 product.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Relayed to me from the TAPCO catalog:

"Use these handy mops to clean the gas tube on your ar15 on a regular basis, and your AR will stay happy, healthy, and clean. When was the last time you cleaned yours? 20 per pack."

#CLN0971 $4.99 per pack.

They look like long pipecleaners.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I clean my gas tube every time I pull the trigger...

with pressurized gas, about 52,000 CUP [:\]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 1:34:22 AM EDT
[#9]
i'm with big bear.

i clean mine out by slapping a fully loaded C-mag with 100 rounds of SA 223, and pulling the trigger and not letting off the trigger until the last bullet clears the barrel.  that pretty much cleans out anything in the gas tube, i assure you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
That stuff from TAPCO is totally bogus and a gimmick to sell long pipe cleaners.  There is more chance to ruin a tube with a stuck pipe cleaner than anything that could build up from shooting.  Just leave the gas tube alone.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I clean the gas tube after ever few thousand rounds, or after heavy use with the 22 conversion.  Today I put 1100 rounds of 22s through my M16.  The gas tube was almost completely closed off.  Brake cleaner and a stiff piece of wire works well.  I always remove the tube when I clean it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#12]
As posted in another thread, the only maintenance I give the inside of the gas tube is a spray of brake cleaner after using ammonia based solvents in the bore.  This is just to make sure that there is no solvent left in the gas port to eat away at the barrel.  Other than that, I don't clean the inside portion of the tube at all and believe me, I'm anal about keeping my guns clean.

No experience with .22 conversion use, but those rimfires are nasty, so this might warrant a cleaning of the tube.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top