Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2002 5:54:55 AM EDT
what cleaner should I be using for a stainless steel barrel?  Is anything with ammonia bad for stainless steel?  I heard from one shooter that ammonia was bad for any barrel but I don't know how true that is.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#1]
break-free has a product for stainless firearms, I have  bottle out in the garage.  (Its actually a lubricant/preservative (LP), not a Cleaner (CLP) now that I examine the bottle)

I use an ammonia based window cleaner for my C&R's that use older ammo that is corrosive.. I follow that up with regular cleaning with CLP
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Ammonia based cleaners are only bad if you leave it in the barrel for an extended period of time and even then, it's more damaging to chrome-moly than SS.
I use Sweets 7.62 and the occasional swabbing with JB bore paste. Afterwards I run a few patchs with CLP down the barrel.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top