Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2017 12:47:20 PM EDT
My most recent build is giving me fits.
The bolt locks shut. And I mean LOCKS.
I have to use a mallet to get it to unlock.
It locked up the first time I fired it.  It locks up when cycled with a dummy round.
I changed out the bolt with another rifle. Still locks up.
Ideas?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you change the bolt or bolt carrier? Have you checked your gas tube alignment and your barrel extension? Pics would help
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Changed both the bolt and carrier.
I'll pull the gas tube assembly to rule that out.
Thanks for the ideas.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What brand bolt?
Is the cam pin hitting the upper receiver?

Pics of the bolt face and lugs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Pics of feed ramp alignment. Can indicate a barrel extension pin which is not clocked properly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Insufficient headspace is a possibility.........what ammo are you using and what brand barrel?
View Quote
I imagine this is the problem. The worn bolt had plenty of clearance, the new one's headspace is too tight for your ammo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#9]
You say that the action locks up when fired or when a dummy round is chambered...

Does the action lock up if the bolt is closed on an empty chamber?

The dummy round that you tried.  Did you make it from a fired round or did you use a commercial made dummy round (plastic or metal)?  Did you full length resize the casing before inserting the bullet.  A round fired from a different gun has expanded to fill the chamber of the gun it was fired in (which is not the same size as your gun).  Odds are that if a casing is not resized, it will jam when inserted into a different gun.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]
A similar problem was a small piece of brass on the forward side of the locking lug. Younger eyes and a pick solved the problem.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top