Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2016 1:59:11 PM EDT
I have a Colt 6920 AR with about 100 rounds through it.  For some reason, the bolt will not rotate back into the bolt carrier while in the rifle so the bolt will not go all the way forward.  It has been lubed plenty so its plenty wet.  The chamber is empty.

I cannot separate the upper from the lower since the bolt will not go all the way forward.  The shop I bought it from suggested removing the stock and the buffer tube and trying to get the bolt out that way.  Can that be done? I know the buffer spring is under tension and I'm not sure the buffer can be removed in reverse -- it typically is removed in the direction of the bolt.

I can always send it back to Colt but I thought I would see if anyone here had suggestions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Remove both pins and pull upper receiver off. Work carrier in and out while holding upper inverted.  You will probably find a loose primer in the slot once you get the BCG out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Open both of your takedown pins and push/wobble your upper forward.  You should be able to separate your receivers that way.  

Once you get the upper off, you'll be better able to see what's going on with your bolt.  I'm gonna guess you've got a popped primer stuck in there somewhere.

ETA - Damn.  Wings beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks everyone.  The unfired round was ejected so there are no primer issues.  And loosening both pins allowed the upper and lower to separate some but not completely, no matter how much shaking and adjusting I tried.

Its going back to Colt under warranty.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you install the bolt backwards in the carrier when you last cleaned it? The extractor needs to aligned with the ejection port.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I'd peak in an see if the extractor is facing the ejection port.  My buddy recently purchased a new Colt 6920 with a wonky bolt.  The cam pin could be inserted on either side.  

Albert at Colt sent him a replacement to-spec bolt.  The original bolt works great as long as he's sure to insert the cam pin on the correct side.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Let us know how this turns out, please.

I'm voting that it is a piece of primer preventing bolt rotation.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, you could see the extractor through the ejection port.  And I seriously doubt there was a primer piece in there as the weapon was never fired again after it was cleaned and the round was injected intact.

Thanks again for the input and I will repost when I find out what went wrong.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you forget to put the firing pin back in?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 2:18:12 AM EDT
[#9]
What happens if you retract the bolt all the way?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What happens if you retract the bolt all the way?
View Quote

I think OP sent it back to Colt and we're on intermission until it comes back.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I couldnt pull the bolt back all the way.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#12]
And the firing pin was installed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe a loose buffer retainer?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, the rifle came back from Colt.  The only comments about the fix were that they installed a new firing pin.  It cycles and dry fires fine but I will take it to the range to see how it works.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems like pretty timely service.  Here's hoping that your troubles are past.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Firing pin retaining pin. Either missing, broken, or the firing pin was not in deep enough when the retaining pin was installed.

I’ve seen this once before. A coworker brought me his AR, because he couldn’t get the bolt to go fully forward or rearward. Once I finally got it apart, the firing pin was just floating around in the receiver wherever it wanted to go. In his case, “someone” (not pointing fingers, but he had a pretty sheepish look when I asked him for money for the new firing pin) had installed the firing pin retaining pin without ensuring that the firing pin was far enough into the bolt, first. That firing pin was chewed up pretty bad and needed to be replaced, too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#17]
No gun is fool-proof.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Out of curiosity, how did you get it apart?  I couldn't figure out a way to do it which is why I sent it back to Colt.

Cheers

Kevin
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, how did you get it apart?  I couldn't figure out a way to do it which is why I sent it back to Colt.

Cheers

Kevin
View Quote

Worst case scenario, you remove the barrel to give enough room to slide the BCG forward.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks.  I am fairly new to AR's.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top