Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/25/2015 11:19:24 AM EDT
Any suggestions on how to remove this?

I think that this is a locking ring, right?
If it is how would I loosen it with out messing it up (doesn't look wide enough for a strap wrench) ?

Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
So just put a strap wrench on the tube and turn counter-clockwise?
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being that the gas block looks to be secured to the barrel via set screws,

My attack plan would be to hit the Gas block set screws with a torch until you sell a sweet smell to break any locktite bond, back the set screws out and remove the FS and gas block with gas tube off the upper first.

Then with a upper receiver in a upper vise block in a vise, would than take a band tool to the hand guard to turn it counter clockwise, to see if the tube from the barrel nut, or the barrel nut from the receiver is going to spin off first.  Hence if the barrel nut spins first, then with the gas tube in place, the gas tube is going to get bent.

If the barrel nut spins off with the float tube still tight to it, then, just use two steel pins in the vise jaws to back up the nut up through it's tube channels, Use a torch at that tube to barrel nut section to break down any loctite used there, then band strap the tube off the barrel nut.

Hence the way that I see the float tube being instead to begin with, the barrel nut was first torque to spec and indexed for the gas tube to pass through it, The gas block with tube as installed with the gas tube tweaked to index it correctly to the carrier key, then the tube lock jamb ring was threaded on all the way back, the hand guards was threaded on, leaving a gap between the two, then the tube was indexed to position, backed off a slight turn, loctite applied to the gap threads between the two,  the lock jam ring spun to the tube, then while holding the lock ring, the tube was threaded tight against it to index the tube to the needed postion (with the loctite bonding the two in position instead).  Hence when you start to spin the tube, the barrel nut is going to spin off the receiver before the loctite bond lets the tube spin from the barrel nut instead.
View Quote

I will try that it sounds reasonable.
Thanks
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top