Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2015 4:33:38 PM EDT
Wondering if any of you could help a friend of mine out...

Area 53 lower, Failzero bcg, HM defense barrel, Gibbz upper and JP captured spring. Ive used Pmags, battle mags, and an E Landers mag. I've also tried American Eagle 5.56 and .223 ammo as well as the plastic bullets that come with Pmags. I did try an Adams bcg with a JP bolt and that seemed to work better, but still hung up. Oh yeah, the gas rings are good on it.

Video pretty much explains eveything, any help is greatly appreciated!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/yLMqrZw1XoQ[/youtube]

ETA: everything has been lubed
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Is my observation correct that the problem occurs when stripping the round from a magazine that has only one round?  Does the problem only occur when you drop the bolt off the bolt stop, or also when it cycles from firing? Some people consider a loaded magazine to mean it has 30 rounds. You might get a problem if you try to strip the top round out of a magazine that is loaded with 31 rounds.

Why did the round stay in the chamber when you locked the bolt back? That was weird. It should have fallen out when you removed the magazine. Do you have an extractor problem?

Some people say you should never drop the bolt onto a chambered round because the floating firing pin will bounce off the primer a little harder than normal, causing a negligent discharge (the firing pin doesn't care that you had the safety on).

Also you should learn how to lock the bolt back without a magazine. Doing it the way you did demonstrates an overall lack of proficiency that could make you a safety hazard at the range.  Press on the lower part of the bolt release with the middle or index finger of the firing hand while you hold the charging handle back with your support side hand. Lower the charging handle until you feel the BCG rest against the stop.

A common cause of feeding issues is the magazine, but it sounds like you tried a few different ones. It could be a weak recoil spring or it could be mismatched or improperly assembled components. It could also be that it is overly difficult for the extractor to snap into place on a case head.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#2]
video is not working!

Bruce
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:14:29 AM EDT
[#4]
you know what, I'm having a very similar issue with an upper I assembled.  mine doesn't hang as far back as yours, but same idea.  Today was the first day out with it.  Will have to do more testing down the road.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top