Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:24:14 PM EDT
Hi All,

Just finished reading a previous thread on failures to eject.  I went to the range today in another failed attempt to sight in my AR.  It's a mid '90s post ban Bushy M4 clone with a new Henderson upper.  
Seems that the last few times at the range I get a stuck case at the ~30 round mark.  Slow fire, 3 or 5 shot groups....

I'm very frustrated, I really want to get this gun ready for HD and all around reliable go to.  Obviously, I don't feel comfortable with it.  LOL I should just stick to 870s and lever actions.

Anyway, I shoot Wolf 55/ 62 grain.  

Tore it down today when I got home and everything looks ok.  No really dirty (since I only am able to get 30 rounds through it).

I will say, that I tend to over lube.  I use Militec grease on the AR, and to be honest it was pretty gooey with grease... could this be a factor?

Like the subject asks, do these extractor O rings cure failures to extract in ALL cases? or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thank you and regards
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi All,

Just finished reading a previous thread on failures to eject.  I went to the range today in another failed attempt to sight in my AR.  It's a mid '90s post ban Bushy M4 clone with a new Henderson upper.  
Seems that the last few times at the range I get a stuck case at the ~30 round mark.  Slow fire, 3 or 5 shot groups....

I'm very frustrated, I really want to get this gun ready for HD and all around reliable go to.  Obviously, I don't feel comfortable with it.  LOL I should just stick to 870s and lever actions.

Anyway, I shoot Wolf 55/ 62 grain.  

Tore it down today when I got home and everything looks ok.  No really dirty (since I only am able to get 30 rounds through it).

I will say, that I tend to over lube.  I use Militec grease on the AR, and to be honest it was pretty gooey with grease... could this be a factor?

Like the subject asks, do these extractor O rings cure failures to extract in ALL cases? or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thank you and regards
View Quote

O-ring might work for you as a band-aid, but won't cure the underlying problem.  Nothing wrong with trying it.  No, it won't necessarily cure failures to extract in ALL cases - nothing can make that guarantee.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Should I just buy a new bolt?  would that be a legitimate fix?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, the root cause of your FTX's is the Wolf ammunition. Steel case ammo is typically coated with a polymer to prevent corrosion while in storage, a job which it does well, however, most commercial chambers are not perfectly smooth, and that results in an accumulation of worn-off polywhatever on the chamber walls. Steel cases also do not properly expand to fit the chamber walls during firing, which allows soot and carbon unto the chamber, aggravating the situation. The combo of the two results in a tight fit of the case in the chamber, and higher extraction force required to pull the spent case out. Start by utilizing a chamber brush and CLP to remove the accumulated poly from the chamber walls (by hand, or with a drill motor on "slow"), then mop the chamber out and dry it with patches. Each cleaning should return the gun to clean functioning for a while, but eventually, it may start FTX-ing again. Some guns will run steel case satisfactorily, some will not; over time, the chamber may smooth out enough to be bearable, but there's no guarantee. If you are concerned about absolute reliability for HD, you must commit to quality, brass-cased ammo. Buying another bolt will net you nothin'. HTH.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Replace extractor spring with a premium one. If you buy a BCG, get a full auto, slightly heavier.

I had the same problem with my Blackout pistol.

Edit; also what the previous post says.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Polish your chamber.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Clean your chamber..
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, thanks for the help.  I ended up ordering the extractor upgrade from BCM.  Hopefully this helps until I run out of Wolf... I had read so much about Wolf being just as good as anything else that I have been buying so much of it... I will take this into consideration and look for brass cased ammo from now on...

regards
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top