Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2013 3:50:05 PM EDT
I just bought a Bushmaster AR15. Everything in stock. I was using the stock magazine, and every 2-3 rounds my bolt would either not push the next round in the chamber, or the bullet would jam (get stuck). I was shooting only WOLF GOLD Brass ammo. .223. What could be the cause? One of the rangemaster was saying it could either be lubrication, (but its brand new- literally first 50 rounds), the ammo, or the gun breaking-in. Out of those 50 rounds, I literally had to pull the bolt back to get it into chamber again. Any advice? I am a new AR15 enthusiast and this is my first rifle.

Thank you!

Here is a picture of it being jammed/stuck/failure to feed.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1879/zk61.jpg

this is literally how it looked like after firing one round. The next round it was like this. trigger didnt do anything due to it being stuck.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just bought a Bushmaster AR15. Everything in stock. I was using the stock magazine, and every 2-3 rounds my bolt would either not push the next round in the chamber, or the bullet would jam (get stuck). I was shooting only WOLF GOLD Brass ammo. .223. What could be the cause? One of the rangemaster was saying it could either be lubrication, (but its brand new- literally first 50 rounds), the ammo, or the gun breaking-in. Out of those 50 rounds, I literally had to pull the bolt back to get it into chamber again. Any advice? I am a new AR15 enthusiast and this is my first rifle.

Thank you!

this is literally how it looked like after firing one round. The next round it was like this. trigger didnt do anything due to it being stuck.
View Quote

So, before you took it to the range, did you field strip it, clean it and lube it as recommended?

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So, before you took it to the range, did you field strip it, clean it and lube it as recommended?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

This
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
would that be a main cause do you guys think? I tried lubing it the bolt carrier group...i hope it really was the only issue...the wolf gold ammo brass .223 rem shouldnt be it right? especially if it jams every 2-3 rounds..
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
How many mags gave you this problem.

Kind of looks like it short stroked but it's hard to tell from the photo you posted and without more details on exactly what you were doing when you got the malfunction.

Wes
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
From your post it seems like you tried only the one magazine, try a different mag or two first to rule that out.  If it still happens with other (quality mags) then it is short stroking most likely.   this could be bad ammo (try different ammo too) or a crappy lube job.  My guess is trying a different mag, new ammo, or lubing better will likely find the issue.  

If none of the above work you may have a gas system issue.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
All good points, also check and make sure your feedramps are lined up correctly and no burs. I'm on my phone and can't zoomit but it looks like its hung up on them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I basically took off the upper reciever removed bolt carrier group and LUBED everything... I didnt know you needed lube when you first buy it. (I am a noob! ) There wasnt much lube at all when I first opened it up. I relined everything making sure everything cocks right.

At the range, I tried two different magazines. The stock one and one PMAG that I bought. Both did it. So i think that rules out the mags

I only have wolf brass ammo right now. Maybe thats the case, but hoping lube will have fixed it. Gonna go to the range tomorrow and take more pics (hopefully dont need to)

What does short-stroked mean?

Thanks everyone for the replies by the way. What a great forum community!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#9]
as said before try a different mag but its probobly the wolf ammo. My dle-ton short strokes it as well. Its cheap shit ammo. If is a 556 chamber, for the rang just shoot the 62 grn green tip m855 there farily cheep.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#10]
short stroke is ware to little gas enters the bcg, and the bcg does not go back and pick up the next round, but most of the time ejects the spent round.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The photo shows bolt over, being that the bolt either did not make is far enough back to get behind the rim of the round to strip it correctly out of the mag, or the mag is sitting too low or not recovering fast enough to get the round up to the top of the mag so the round can be stripped out of the mag correctly.

Step one, break out the CLP and a chamber brush and not only correctly clean the rifle before you fire it, but Lube the upper bearing ares correctly for break in with CLP as well.

With down, load only a single round into a mag, charge and fire the single round with the empty mag still in the rifle, and see of the bolt locks back on the bolt catch.

Once you have done step one and step two to confirmed that the bolt did in fact lock back, then we can trouble shoot the problem farther; knowing that at least the rifle is full stroking to begin with.
View Quote

One thing I just remembered. I fired one round, and as I tried to to fire the next round the trigger just clicked. I looked to the side of the bolt and indeed  it did cycle (it went all the way forward). But no bullet was in the chamber. It was almost as if it didnt push the bullet in the mag. Unless I'm dreaming. Im gonna go to another closer range tomorrow. But I cleaned the upper and lower real well, and put a good amount of lube on it. Lube was very minimal when I first opened it up. Hey, Thanks for trying to help me out by the way!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Wolf is not exactly the best ammo to establish a baseline, even their gold line.  
Try some XM193 or something like that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:18:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wolf is not exactly the best ammo to establish a baseline, even their gold line.  

Try some XM193 or something like that.
View Quote

+1
Go get some American Eagle, PMC, Independence, or good ole' Lake City ammo. Really anything that's brass (not steel) & not Tula, Wolf, Herter's or a Bear (Silver Bear/Golden Bear); they're Russian rounds and are typically weak as shit. I wouldn't be surprised if the weak ammo is at least partly responsible for the
Short-stroking:

Your bolt carrier is receiving sufficient gas pressure to eject a spent round, but it's not traveling far enough back to strip a new round from the mag. Or, your magazine is not seated correctly/doesn't like your rifle so the bolt has trouble engaging the next round.

Since you're an admitted noob - make sure your magazine is properly seated. If you insert the mag on a closed bolt, you have to smack the bottom to make sure it's fully seated. The bolt will exert pressure on the top rounds and as a result the mag will not fully engage the catch and can result in the bolt overriding the cases. To make sure the mag is properly seated, insert it all the way and then give it a tug; if it's fully seated it won't move.
Also, don't use the magazine as a monopod this can also cause issues.

Lube, Ammo or magazine are the most likely causes of your malfunction.

I have a BCM/Spikes and a KAC that short-stroke like that with Herter's ammo cause it's so weak. They eat anything else like my son eats M&M's, but they hate Herter's.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#15]
kkel19,

It's possible it is the magazine. Wether it's metal or plastic they can stck slowing it down a bit so your BCG is just cycleing over the round before the round hits the lips of the mag. Sometimes if your ammo is too hot the BCG can accerate too fast in the same manner. Try another fresh metal mag and give the inside a slight light lube.

Impala
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The photo shows bolt over, being that the bolt either did not make is far enough back to get behind the rim of the round to strip it correctly out of the mag, or the mag is sitting too low or not recovering fast enough to get the round up to the top of the mag so the round can be stripped out of the mag correctly.
This! Gas system or mag issue.

Step one, break out the CLP and a chamber brush and not only correctly clean the rifle before you fire it, but Lube the upper bearing ares correctly for break in with CLP as well.
A new gun should run 100% dry if it's clean. This rifle had less than 50 rounds. It may well run once he cleans it up, but there are other issues, IMO. Sabre tested all of their rifles bone-dry for function check. I had a couple of them, and the arrived brass streaks all over the deflector, and not a drop of anything on them.

With down, load only a single round into a mag, charge and fire the single round with the empty mag still in the rifle, and see of the bolt locks back on the bolt catch.

Once you have done step one and step two to confirmed that the bolt did in fact lock back, then we can trouble shoot the problem farther; knowing that at least the rifle is full stroking to begin with.
View Quote

I think there is a gas or mag issue. Maybe an ammo problem.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One thing I just remembered. I fired one round, and as I tried to to fire the next round the trigger just clicked. I looked to the side of the bolt and indeed  it did cycle (it went all the way forward). But no bullet was in the chamber. It was almost as if it didnt push the bullet in the mag. Unless I'm dreaming. Im gonna go to another closer range tomorrow. But I cleaned the upper and lower real well, and put a good amount of lube on it. Lube was very minimal when I first opened it up. Hey, Thanks for trying to help me out by the way!!
View Quote

This is short stroking. It is a gas or lube issue, at this point, and I don't believe M4's need lube to function correctly WHEN CLEAN. (This is not to say I don't lube my weapons, or encourage others not to, just that a proper M4 with good ammo will run bone dry until it gets dirty.)
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey Everyone,

took the bushy to the range today. Fired over 200 rounds all lubed up, and NOT ONE FTF!!! AH I'm so happy it wasn't a gas issue (I am too much of a newbie to learn to check the size of gas tube, etc). I was just enjoying shooting it at the range, zeroing it. Thank you all for the help. Never thought lube could impact a gun THIS much. Ive fired my 9mm and .40 pistols without lubing the first 50-100 rounds no issues before. I guess AR might be more sensitive, or that it just wasnt clean, with the addition of the dirtier wolf ammo. But I'm glad to say that my Bushmaster does indeed handle wolf ammo! I think its broken into now..I put a good 300-350 rounds the past two days!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top