Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2012 4:03:40 PM EDT
I ejected an unfired round yesterday and noticed two linear scratches along the bullet. I cycled several more rounds by hand an every one had the same two marks. The scratches are deep enought to catch a fingernail. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
that's normal, when you eject a live round, the spring pressure from the ejector cams the round towards the ejection port and on its way rearward scraps along the locking lugs in the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
that's normal, when you eject a live round, the spring pressure from the ejector cams the round towards the ejection port and on its way rearward scraps along the locking lugs in the barrel extension.

It's definitely scratching the bullet as it feeds into the chamber, at the top of the feed ramps, NOT during extraction. I shouldn't even say "scratches" , gouges is more appropriate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's definitely scratching the bullet as it feeds into the chamber, at the top of the feed ramps, NOT during extraction. I shouldn't even say "scratches" , gouges is more appropriate.

If on the way into the chamber, then clean up any end of burs on the barrel feed ramps.    Chop stick with some 400 wet/dry sand paper makes short work of this with the upper off the lower (remember to clean the upper afterwards).

On the way out, normal since the ejector is going to cam the bullet over to the right hand side bolt lug as soon as the tip of the bullet clears the chamber (no clean up needed here).

Yeah, this is far from the light marks you might get from extraction, I'm going to try what you recommended as far as the feed ramps.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top