Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2012 8:46:06 AM EDT
Hello all, New to the AR world just finished my first 2 weeks ago. Stag lower (new) with a used FTF industries upper. . My first time on the Range using M855 ammo was frustrating. First off BCG does not lock back after last round is fired. I manually charged the rifle most of the day trying to get it to cycle. Several times out of the blue it cycled through 30 rds like it should. Some times it would cycle five rounds and fail to feed. The bolt would also slam into round halfway into the chamber occasionally. Leaving gouges in the the cartridge. I have ordered a new gas tube and a mcfarland gas ring,  I did come home clean the gas tube blew compressed air through the ports. and that did not help. Basically confused because of the inconsistency. Used several different Mags. 2 new magpul, several of my brothers nato mags that are known to function. any help will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your replies. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If the BCG didnt lock back maybe something wrong with the bolt catch?. If you want send me pics to [email protected] of the bolt catch and how you hold your Ar. waht kind of buffer spring you use?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Since you are new to AR's and your rifle is new it may simply be a lubrication issue. A lot of folks run there ARe pretty wet. A new rifle will need to be lubed well until broken in. I'm sure others will chime in with more detailed brake in suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]
You have not given your setup.
Aside from bad parts:
Gas block misalignment.
Gas leaking at gas block.
Gas leaking at BC key.
Insufficient lube (happens a lot).
Too much reciprocating weight.
Underpowered ammo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You have not given your setup.

Aside from bad parts:

Gas block misalignment.

Gas leaking at gas block.

Gas leaking at BC key.

Insufficient lube (happens a lot).

Too much reciprocating weight.

Underpowered ammo.

You forgot the most over looked new gun problem. Failure to clean the ever lovin' hell out of it and thoroughly lube it before that first shot.

edit: Forget my goofiness, I just re-read the op and found it's a used upper, just a new lower. Carry on.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
16 inch barrel 1:9 twist cerro forged upper. LMT collapsible stalk mil-spec buffer and spring.The gun is short stroking for sure, dont think it has to do with the bolt catch. i should add i did have access to a another BCG and it did not solve the problem. if there is a leak at the FSB How do i repair that?  is there any way to clean the gas prt in the FSB without removing it?
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a carbine buffer spring?  There is a difference between carbine and rifle buffer springs.

Do you have a carbine buffer?  There is a difference between carbine and rifle buffers.

Does your bolt cam properly in the BCG?  The bolt rings and cam pin sometimes have to break-in a bit.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#7]
New gas tube and gas rings. Gas rings are a lot tighter ,Cleaned and lubed. Coated the bcg in rem oil. Gun cycles fine, no malfunctions yet.Thanx for the help.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top