Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2012 2:12:15 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

Curiousity finally got to me, and I decided to pick up an AR-15. Went with a SP6920 that a local gun shop had new-in-the-box. Being more of a "traditionalist", I want to become proficient with the iron sights on it as-is before I think about any optics. During my initial sight-in, I noticed the rear sight has some spacing between it and the carry handle infront of it, allowing you to twist the sight assembly counter-clockwise and clockwise. By default it wants to sit a bit counter-clockwise when elevation is turned all the way down. This means that the long-range apeture isn't perfectly straight for viewing.

Anyone know if this is "normal"? I don't think it is, but I can't prove it. I went back to the gun store at lunch (without the gun since its a work day and we can't have weapons on company property) to see if the others they had on hand were the same, but they had since run out of stock (my luck). A call to Colt results in a 30 minute wait to only be told "send the part in with a letter of the problem, and we'll see if its a problem". No option to exchange the sight or carry handle.

For now, I've put a bit of tape in the gap on the right side to take out of the spacing and straighten it out some. Of course I could just go out and buy a new unit or an aftermarket sight, but I just paid for these; I'd like them to at least "correctly" work first, and confirm it is unusual before I ship the carry handle assembly back to them. :)

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Its normal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I really appreciate the quick feedback guys. The use of phrases like "CMP", "NM", and "cant" (why didn't I think of that one?) also allowed me to find a lot more useful information that my google-fu wasn't turning up before. I am slightly less n00bish with black rifles.

Being a perfectionist, it bugs me, but hopefully it will grow on me. Otherwise, I'll find myself a NM rear sight.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top