Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 6:00:15 AM EDT
I posted this question several months ago when I started this deployment, but I see that the thread was deleted.  My deployment will literally be over in a matter of days, and fixing the bolt catch on one of my AR-15's is going to be one of my first gun-related priorities when I get home.

Last time I asked about this issue, I got a really good reply explaining that my problems were most likely the result of not clearing out the space where the bolt catch spring and detent go when I assembled my lower.  I'm not really looking for any new answers, but I think that the post I got about disassembling my bolt catch and cleaning it out by hand with a drill bit was right on point for the problem I'm having.  If I could get the guy who posted that answer to re-post his instructions on here, that would help me out a lot.

Here is the issue my gun is having: I can get the bolt catch to lock the bolt to the rear when I lock it manually by pulling the charging handle and holding down on the bolt catch, but it just barley works.  An empty magazine just doesn't exert enough upward pressure on the bolt catch to hold the bolt back on its own.  It's like the bolt catch can't get up as high as a normal one does.  I assembled this lower myself.  Like I said above, the most likely problem is that the space where the detent and spring go is either clogged with some extra anodizing/coating or the spring is too long.  I've got a new detent and spring in case that's the problem.  

Again, I'm just looking for a little further guidance on fixing this: what size drill bit to use to clean out the dimple, if I need to re-coat it somehow, what other type of guidance do I need?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:49:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top