Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2011 3:01:02 PM EDT
I have a factory DPMS Oracle 5.56 hammer spring with about 600 rounds on it.... that appears is out of spec, or weak..

I got a new spring from Brownells for like $2.. and its FLAT.. and also RED in color if that means anything at all..

but notice how one is FLAT (new one) and one is arched (old one).. granted I did the 15min trigger job and cut 1 leg abit.. which led to the light primer strikes on 1/15 rounds this last weekend..

but should (the original) it be this BENT after 600 rounds??

I just installed the new RED (bottom) one from Brownells and now feel even more confidant this was the issue..

what say the 'crew' was the original out of spec?? or did the CUT cause this??

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

granted I did the 15min trigger job and cut 1 leg abit.. which led to the light primer strikes on 1/15 rounds this last weekend..

This.

If you want a better trigger pull, there are better ways to do this.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
cutting the hammer spring is what caused light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought they were supposed to be bent...

I did the 15 minute trigger job also and have had no problems 2 years later.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought they were supposed to be bent...

I did the 15 minute trigger job also and have had no problems 2 years later.

I don't mind it being straight or bent as long as it worked.. and it didn't work AFTER I did the mod..

I never paid it no mind when I did the mod as to how it was originally..

so I ordered the new one.. I'd rather have factory function.. over a light primer strike if SHTF..

just leaving it alone now.. its not going to be an 'accuracy gun' for me anyway per se..
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Red spring looks like a Wolff Extra Power spring.

It works great in 5.45 ARs with milsurp ammo, but it sure increased the trigger pull.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Red spring looks like a Wolff Extra Power spring.

It works great in 5.45 ARs with milsurp ammo, but it sure increased the trigger pull.  

i used the new and checked google 'images' for the Wolff XP spring.. it may be.. but then I checked a few other AR hammer spring pics and Stag/Del-Ton and few other use hammer springs in there pics that are 'flat' per se.. the red just might be a coating..

its installed and seems to have more SNAP (like original)  

Is anyone elses CURVED ?? or FLAT??
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Bent, but it's like 10 degrees from being flat.

definitely not red though

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#9]
The slight bend from flat is supposed to be there on a new spring. All the Colt springs I have ever bought had it in them new. Bushmaster springs also.
Never noticed any difference in function between the two.
I did not care for the 3 pack of Brownell springs I bought because of the red stuff on them that looked like paint to me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:30:45 AM EDT
[#10]
looks like a powder coat maybe..

going to test Saturday in the AM with 100 rounds the Federal AE 223 Tactical 55gr.. thats the ammo I had the most 'light hits and no bang' on..

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:41:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Wolf extra power hammer spring:

And, as others have pointed out, the light strikes are because you did the "15 minute" trigger job.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I dont reccommend cutting the spring I do my trigger job by polishing all mating surfaces and then just bending the hammer spring like a dog leg on both legs and lubing lightly with moly cam shaft lube... Never had any problems with this nor never used ammo I couldnt ignite....
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a factory DPMS Oracle 5.56 hammer spring with about 600 rounds on it.... that appears is out of spec, or weak..

I got a new spring from Brownells for like $2.. and its FLAT.. and also RED in color if that means anything at all..

but notice how one is FLAT (new one) and one is arched (old one).. granted I did the 15min trigger job and cut 1 leg abit.. which led to the light primer strikes on 1/15 rounds this last weekend..

but should (the original) it be this BENT after 600 rounds??

http://www.executiveprotectionservice.us/forums/556/Hsprings.jpg

I just installed the new RED (bottom) one from Brownells and now feel even more confidant this was the issue..

what say the 'crew' was the original out of spec?? or did the CUT cause this??

Yes.

You WECSOG'ed this and added to the DPMS hate.
-!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top