Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2010 6:19:01 PM EDT
I pulled out my AR today and noticed that my stock was loose.  I think this might have happened when I installed a new flash hider a few days ago and unknowingly put pressure in one direction on the stock when I was tightening the new flash hider.  I guess I will have to replace the tube???  It basically looks like the threads were ground down where the small rectangle anti rotation part goes.  Is there a simplier fix other than buying a new reciever tube?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Blue Loctite on the lower receiver threads. It is a bugger to undo later though - you need heat because of the large thread area. Use the least LocTite you can get away with. Also, cinche the castle nut down tight and then stake it so it does not come loose again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Right now it is rotating about 15 degrees to the right.  Would locktite hold that?  How do you stake the castle nut?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Mmmmmmmmm steeeaaakkkk.....ahhhhh
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
A simular thing happened to me. I got a magpul trigger guard. While  punching out the roll pin it was stripping the buffer tube threading. When I finished the stock was about two inches to the left. I twisted the tube back in place. I ended up having to get a new tube. At least the lower threading wasn't messed up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]
After reading this,I checked mine and noticed that it rotated about 5-10deg after firing a couple hundred rds. I just now re+tightened it but I've never staked the castle nut because I was afraid of cracking the receiver.
How do you guys support the lower for the stake job? And what type/size punch?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You cannot crack the receiver by staking. The worst you could do is destroy the extension/buffer tube. You either blue locktite or stake it. I do both because like you I learned the hard way.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:05:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A simular thing happened to me. I got a magpul trigger guard. While  punching out the roll pin it was stripping the buffer tube threading. When I finished the stock was about two inches to the left. I twisted the tube back in place. I ended up having to get a new tube. At least the lower threading wasn't messed up.

You were installing a trigger guard and f'up your buffer tube threads? how in the world did you accomplish that?

Quoted:
After reading this,I checked mine and noticed that it rotated about 5-10deg after firing a couple hundred rds. I just now re+tightened it but I've never staked the castle nut because I was afraid of cracking the receiver.
How do you guys support the lower for the stake job? And what type/size punch?

Thanks.

You really should have the lower locked into a lower receiver block and punch size I have no idea ... a little smaller than the notch I guess. I have never staked or loc-tited mine (just tightened them really good) and I've never had a problem
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I pulled out my AR today and noticed that my stock was loose.  I think this might have happened when I installed a new flash hider a few days ago and unknowingly put pressure in one direction on the stock when I was tightening the new flash hider.  I guess I will have to replace the tube???  It basically looks like the threads were ground down where the small rectangle anti rotation part goes.  Is there a simplier fix other than buying a new reciever tube?

You should be using barrel blocks in a vice to  remove or install a FS or similar device.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I pulled out my AR today and noticed that my stock was loose.  I think this might have happened when I installed a new flash hider a few days ago and unknowingly put pressure in one direction on the stock when I was tightening the new flash hider.

Quoted:
A simular thing happened to me. I got a magpul trigger guard. While  punching out the roll pin it was stripping the buffer tube threading.

out of

If you are not sure what you are doing before starting a project read the tutorials here: (tacked at the top of the Build It Yourself Forum) http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782, or take it to a competent gunsmith to do the work for you.

To the OP, I'd just replace the receiver extension & mark it as a learning experience instead of "rigging" it to fix it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a spring center punch to stake my castle nut. Didn't need a vice or block.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top