Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2010 6:07:22 PM EDT
I need help with an extractor issue.  Did fine at first with Fed XM193.  Then ran IMI M855 and would not extract a single one.  Went back to XM193 and at first it was fine then it started to not extract it as well.  
Question, the extractor shows signs of wear in the grove where it grabs the case only in about 40% of the grove.  There is also wear on the front of the extractor as well, but only on the same side of the extractor that the grove is showing wear.  The extractor is not chipped or damaged, but does appear to be bent or lower when installed on the bolt on the same side as the wear.  I have a spare bolt and swapped out the extractor.  When I do this it does not look as bent or lower that one edge.  Could it be a defect in the bolt or is more likely the extractor?  I am not sure if the wear is messing with my eyes when I look at in front on or if it is truly bent/lower on that edge.  The gun has about 800 rounds through it.  Thanks for any hellp!!
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7484/extractor011.jpg
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1306/extractor021.jpg
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Dano523.  Should I see wear makes completely through the grove in the extractor?  The finish looks like it has never been touched in the grove on the top side of the picture.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Put another extractor in there and see how it runs. If you don't have one, try a buddy. You ought to have a couple of spares anyway. From the picture you posted, it looks like the tip is thinner on the left side than the right. I don't have one in front of me right now to compare.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top