Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2009 3:40:47 PM EDT
I just built my second AR, this is an Essential Arms Lower with a DPMS kit, 20" standard with fixed stock. The buffer sounds like there is something sliding back and forth inside. I don't remeber the other kit doing that. Is there something loose or broken in this buffer or is this normal. Its not the spring when being used. You can take the buffer out and tilt it back and forth and you hear something flopping back and forth inside. I'm wondering what that is and if it needs to be replace. I just put the rifle together and I guess the parts are under warranty.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That is the way it is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh really, well what is it inside the buffer that makes that noise? It sounds like a weight in there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like a weight in there.
 That's because...there is a weight in there.  Depending on the specific buffer, it contains steel and/or tungsten weights.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The buffer sounds like there is something sliding back and forth inside.

Yes, there are moving parts inside, that's why it's a "buffer" and not just a chunk of metal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It's broke-bad. Send it to me immediately.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
OK well thanks for the info. The other two buffers I have don't make that noise, one is for a carbine and the other for a standard rifle. Theyre both DPMS so I was wondering why that  particular one did, its quite noisy especially in the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the advice the weights in the buffer were dry and after putting a light coating on them they did quiet down a lot.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top