Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2009 11:57:53 PM EDT
With some of you with a lot of experience offer some suggestions as to why all of a sudden my mags don't click in place easily.  I can get them to seat if I hammer them with the heel of my hand.  But I don't feel comfortable hammering things into place.

I pulled the bolt assembly apart and cleaned it well.  But the problem still persists.  Is it possible to overload a magazine?

sdodd
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you need to check your mag catch... Also I would try a diff. mag. from a reliable source (ie Magpul).

ETA: It could be your existing mag is not in tolerance.....

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need to check your mag catch... Also I would try a diff. mag. from a reliable source (ie Magpul).

ETA: It could be your existing mag is not in tolerance.....

Thanks, but I messed aorund with the mag catch and it seemed normal.  All the same mags worked before.  One Bushmaster and one Colt.  The third was plastic and seemd to load more esaily.

Is there such a thing as loading the too full?

sdodd
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:06:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It’s typical to feel resistance when inserting a full 30rd magazine with the bolt forward. That’s why after inserting the mag in the mag well, it’s a common practice to “tap” the mag base to ensure the mag is fully seated.

To ease loading in this situation, some shooters download their mags by one or two rounds.

If your mags lock into place with the bolt to the rear, or when they are empty, then you have nothing to worry about. And again, resistance encountered when loading a full 30rd magazine, with the bolt forward, is normal.

ETA: See pages 105-106.  http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf

Sounds good to me.  Thamks,

sdodd
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 Is it possible to overload a magazine?

yes, top most round should be on the right with about an 1/8" depression.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
That's why you LOCK then LOAD. Lock your bolt to the rear, then load the mag, hit the bolt release. Lock and Load.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top