Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2009 6:40:53 PM EDT
I know this sound strange but I have an FNMI 20 barrel that has a front hand guard cup that is moving WAY too much.  Never seen one move so much that with the handguards on it.  I am getting 3/32" of movement.  Rather than removing the FSB would a small MIG tack weld on the inside or silver solder the cup to the barrel work?   I know it does not affect function but it's driving me nuts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Welding a loose handguard cap seems a tad extreme.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It move too much, but I hear you.   Either way I am going to have it done.  Got the barrel at a good price.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Might seem as if the tapper pin grooves are mis-located.  Probably because the gas tube hole is also in the wrong spot.
Or the abutment for the end cap is mis-located.  May be why you got such a deal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Why is removing the FSB such a big deal?  Do you have the right pin punch, hammer and a way of holding the barrel secure?

Removing the FSB and shimming your hand guard cap with an appropriate washer would be much, much, much better than tacking it with a MIG welder - even if the barrel is cheap.

I am not an expert on the metallurgy of 4140 or 4150 steel, but I would be afraid that the metal discontinuity, untempered martensite in the HAZ (heat affected zone), and stress in the steel from weld shrinkage could conceivably start a crack after so many rounds fired.

On the other hand, it might turn out just fine - but why would you really want to do this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Something along the line of JB Weld or a good high temp epoxy may be a better fix.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the tips.  

The Gas tube lines up fine the FSB is timed perfectly on the barrel.  Not sure what's up with the handguard cap but I will try the other options.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips.  

The Gas tube lines up fine the FSB is timed perfectly on the barrel.  Not sure what's up with the handguard cap but I will try the other options.

Most likely the barrel diameter is undercut where the handguard caps rests. I have personally taken an FNMI 20" barrel apart that had the same problem as yours. We used a thin o-ring in there and put it back together. Tightened it right up, but I think it was a reject barrel and somehow ended up at a gun show. Even with the loose cap, I'd still like to have one for myself. Buddy only paid $100 for it. All it needed was handguards.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it front to back movement, side to side, or rotation? If front to back, use a hose clamp.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
double tap
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top